Discussion: Sean's change in character?Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 6 posts
marksschroeder
marksschroeder
Sean's change in character?
Mar 7 2012, 3:32 PM EST | Post edited: Mar 7 2012, 3:32 PM EST
I am an avid NCIS viewer. Sean's "McGee" Character has always been very SOLID right from his first appearance on NCIS. But, after Sean lost an eminence amount of weight, his voice changed to be, "Wispy, light, and kind of forced." Not only did his voice change, but he seemed to have dropped his "authoritative computer expertise delivery." With the "Voice Change and huge Weight Loss," if I didn't know better I would have thought this, "Tim McGee" was a whole different Character than the one appearing in previous NCIS episodes. I'm "Not Criticizing" Sean Murray, I am pointing out a significant Character difference that I have observed.
28  out of 35 found this valuable. Do you?    
#1hotchfan
#1hotchfan
1. RE: Sean's change in character?
Mar 8 2012, 4:16 AM EST | Post edited: Mar 8 2012, 4:16 AM EST
First, we have asked to not discuss the actor's weight loss as it's a personal issue.

Second, in terms of his 'authoritative computer expertise delivery' are you referring to how he presents himself or how his character is being written? Sean Murray has no say-so in the writing so, fingers would have to be pointed in the writers direction. maybe they have asked the actor to 'tone it down'? We don't know what goes on behind the scenes and one thing that we have seen this season is a more personal 'aspect' of each of the character's lives - so this may be what you are seeing - a change in direction - not because of 'weight loss' but because it's another direction the writers are going in.
6  out of 30 found this valuable. Do you?    
marksschroeder
marksschroeder
2. RE: Sean's change in character?
Mar 8 2012, 8:40 AM EST | Post edited: Mar 8 2012, 8:40 AM EST
You are so right about the script writers. It's most likely true that Sean has to follow what direction he is given and being an Actor myself, there is little to no wriggle room when it comes to the character lines you are given. Sometimes I'm looking so close at something I loose the Big Picture. Thanks for pointing this out to me. 1  out of 6 found this valuable. Do you?    
codename:mara
codename:mara
3. RE: Sean's change in character?
Mar 8 2012, 11:51 AM EST | Post edited: Mar 8 2012, 11:54 AM EST
Its also natural to have a character change over time. It would be strange if he was still the same nervous probie we first met in season 1 or was it season 2? In addition as writers change, they would also have their own vision of what McGee should be like. The question is do you like how his character is evolving? 4  out of 12 found this valuable. Do you?    

bellswebster
4. RE: Sean's change in character?
Mar 8 2012, 12:38 PM EST | Post edited: Mar 8 2012, 12:38 PM EST
"Its also natural to have a character change over time. It would be strange if he was still the same nervous probie we first met in season 1 or was it season 2? In addition as writers change, they would also have their own vision of what McGee should be like. The question is do you like how his character is evolving?"
I do. I love McGee. I feel he is the one who has matured and changed for the best.
I like him in the office and to see him occassionally be in the field. This is what i feel the writers want for McGee.
4  out of 10 found this valuable. Do you?    

StoneZebra
5. RE: Sean's change in character?
Apr 18 2012, 6:44 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 18 2012, 7:00 AM EDT
Deleted 0  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)