Discussion: Discuss episode 8.18 Out of the Frying PanReported This is a featured thread

Showing 61 - 70 of 70  |  Show  posts at a time
Previous | 1 2 3 4
weatherlywatcher49
weatherlywatcher49
60. RE: Discuss episode 8.18 Out of the Frying Pan
Mar 26 2011, 2:49 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 26 2011, 2:49 PM EDT
"I am still curious as to how the title "Out of the Frying Pan" applies to this episode. Most titles you recognize as having some aspect to the story, but this one is hard to peg. The saying "out of the..." usually means you are heading into something you shouldn't be, like you are in hot water already, why make it hotter? Do you think it refers to Leon?"
Out of the frying pan usually means that you are out of trouble - that you have gotten away from something you were in trouble for. I think it would mean that the kids was basically in hot water (or the frying pan) because everyone thought he was guilty of killing his father but Gibbs figured out that he was not and found the real culprit - the mother. So the kid was out of the frying pan. JMO. I could be wrong.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

ncisnewgirl
61. RE: Discuss episode 8.18 Out of the Frying Pan
Mar 26 2011, 2:56 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 26 2011, 2:56 PM EDT
"Out of the frying pan usually means that you are out of trouble - that you have gotten away from something you were in trouble for. I think it would mean that the kids was basically in hot water (or the frying pan) because everyone thought he was guilty of killing his father but Gibbs figured out that he was not and found the real culprit - the mother. So the kid was out of the frying pan. JMO. I could be wrong."
The quote is out of the frying pan into the fire meaning to me it goes from bad to worse. So maybe the ep means the kid was in the frying pan but got thrown in the fire because it was really his mother, which to him would be much worse. Does that make sense? BTW, the issues with the kids mom made me think of Tony. I have read fanfics that suggest his mother commited suicide or was an alcoholic. Don't know if that is based on fact from the show or not. But this ep reminded me of Tony and his mom.
Do you find this valuable?    
SpecialAgentEmmaG
SpecialAgentEmmaG
62. RE: Discuss episode 8.18 Out of the Frying Pan
Mar 26 2011, 6:13 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 26 2011, 6:13 PM EDT
"Really liked Gibbs and Tony in the interrogation scenes. Did anybody else notice how "uncomfortable" Tony was in the beginning when Ziva and McGee were discussing EJ. I couldn't tell if Ziva and McGee noticed or not. I'm not sure how I feel about Vance. I kind of thought his determination to find the kid guilty was not like him. I know he said the guy was a friend, but he usually is determined to get the guilty party. With that said, I can't see where the finale is going. Are we going to have "evil" Vance?"
I totally agree with you. Vance has changed, for better or worse I don't know? I don't know what has gotten in to him. He is "Evil"! I hope he cools off in the next Episode!!
fast09
fast09
63. RE: Discuss episode 8.18 Out of the Frying Pan
Mar 27 2011, 1:49 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 27 2011, 1:49 AM EDT
I do agree with you guys vance is evil. Though gibbs is getting curious to see what vance is withholding so odds are something will happen to McGee 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

ncisnewgirl
64. RE: Discuss episode 8.18 Out of the Frying Pan
Mar 27 2011, 6:36 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 27 2011, 6:36 AM EDT
"I totally agree with you. Vance has changed, for better or worse I don't know? I don't know what has gotten in to him. He is "Evil"! I hope he cools off in the next Episode!!"
And I really don't see the explosion causing him to act like this. I guess it's getting me because I don't understand where his new attitude is coming from. I thought he and Gibbs were getting along and he was changing his mind about Tony especially after he rescued Ziva. Now, it's like all of that never happened...
Jellemo
Jellemo
65. RE: Discuss episode 8.18 Out of the Frying Pan
Mar 27 2011, 6:41 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 27 2011, 6:48 AM EDT
I son't think Vance is becomming evil. He is very busy, there is something going on with EJ, and maybe he can't handle it. But a really evil Vance? I don't think it will be that bad.
Actually, I think there is some relation to the experiences in the past. Think about one of the last scenes of the 9th episode. What happened afterwards? Gibbs is going to Paris, but what is Vance's part in it?

BTW, I didn't like this episode that much. I think the "murderinvestigation" was really flat and I missed Ziva (so there weren't really "team-moments"). There were really nice parts, but in my opinion the whole episode should be nice.
KathleenPhelan
KathleenPhelan
66. RE: Discuss episode 8.18 Out of the Frying Pan
Mar 27 2011, 7:45 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 27 2011, 7:45 AM EDT
"I do agree with you guys vance is evil. Though gibbs is getting curious to see what vance is withholding so odds are something will happen to McGee"
Happen to McGee? How would that be?

ncisnewgirl
67. RE: Discuss episode 8.18 Out of the Frying Pan
Mar 27 2011, 8:09 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 27 2011, 8:09 AM EDT
I just rewatched the ep. I just noticed the scene before Gibbs and Tony go into interrogation and Tony is saying different things and Gibbs say DiNozzo, please and Tony says just trying to loosen my mouth or something like that. Loved it. Makes me realize how much I miss the Gibbs and Tony interaction. Do you find this valuable?    
rosecake
rosecake
68. RE: Discuss episode 8.18 Out of the Frying Pan
Mar 27 2011, 8:21 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 27 2011, 8:21 AM EDT
"I just rewatched the ep. I just noticed the scene before Gibbs and Tony go into interrogation and Tony is saying different things and Gibbs say DiNozzo, please and Tony says just trying to loosen my mouth or something like that. Loved it. Makes me realize how much I miss the Gibbs and Tony interaction."
Yeah, it was really funny and very 'old good days'. You're right, I miss their special interaction too.
windykat
windykat
69. RE: Discuss episode 8.18 Out of the Frying Pan
Apr 17 2011, 8:33 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 17 2011, 8:35 PM EDT
Out of the frying pan into the fire does mean that things go from pretty bad to really bad.

I'm wondering if Vance and Gibbs are at odds because Vance has pulled another "change up" like he did in Judgement Day. And Gibbs is frustrated and/or angry because he suspects that Vance is pulling another "fast one" on him but can't quite nail it down. Plus I have a feeling that Gibbs really did not like Vance 'attacking' the kid with the ax shoved into the kid's face. Gibbs did NOT like that Vance had withheld information (a no-no) about the fact that he knew the victim. And eventually falsely accusing someone when the evidence wasn't enough nor all that clear. Gibbs has a profound sense of "Doing the Right Thing" and that would not fit his sensibilities. You do have to remember that Vance "buried" the investigation report that Abby wrote about Gibbs' sniping the drug cartel dude in Mexico. So I think that Vance in the long run has Gibbs' back. Just currently under tension to find out what is wrong with the other team or something...and maybe dictated to him (Vance) from "above" and he doesn't like not being in control.

This episode was more of a character development/story development ep and thus not much time for the procedural part. And it was also squeezing in the P2P killer storyline as well. Plus the new team. Altogether they just didn't have the time to have a terrific investigatory segment as well. Not enough time for real detail. It was also a "cool down" episode that Shane Brennan likes to throw in periodically to cut back on the tension building over a story arc (currently the P2P killer, in a prior season, La Grenouille.)

Leon Vance was named for Leon Carroll and 'Vance' is pulled from somewhere in real life as well...I just currently can't remember from whom.
Previous | 1 2 3 4