Discussion: Chat about 8.11 Ships in the NightReported This is a featured thread

Showing 61 - 80 of 170  |  Show  posts at a time
Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next > Last
tara_persad
tara_persad
60. RE: Chat about 8.11 Ships in the Night
Jan 12 2011, 4:15 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 12 2011, 4:15 AM EST
I don't know what faces and backpack, coat scene everyone is talking about :( Do you find this valuable?    
weatherlywatcher49
weatherlywatcher49
61. RE: Chat about 8.11 Ships in the Night
Jan 12 2011, 4:15 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 12 2011, 4:15 AM EST
"
He was great in interrogation: ''And you stop lying me'' - Amazing!

That's what shocks me. We're all happy and excited just because Tony was good in interrogation and he won a fight without help, but this should be the norm for an agent with almost 17 years of experience on his shoulders and for a SFA of the core NCIS MCRT! Our reaction speaks loud on how they ruined Tony's character. jmo

I really loved Tony in the end. MW's eyes told everything about Tony's feelings when he was listening to the Marine's lawyer about his will. He was really touched by Marine's last will and this is the reason why he threw away his comp time and not because he didn't want another person on his desk.
I've seen lots of similarities between Tony and the victim: they went away from family's money, their fathers didn't like their job, they chose a job that helps people, their fathers disowned them.
All these things and the feeling that even when Tony tried to be funny o look happy, it seems forced, make me think that there's more on Tony's future.
It's undeniable that there's something that really bothers him and I'm wondering what could happen in the future...
"
I agree with you, rose. There were a lot of similarities in Tony's background and the marine who died.

I also have a feeling there is more going on with Tony. Did you catch how when he and Ziva were talking about comp time Tony says something about how he needed more time to "respectfully date" women. A throwback to last episode when he was talking about Brenda. And yes, it is a shame that we are all happy that Tony seemed competent, when that should be the norm.

The interrogation scene was great and I loved Tony's punch in the bar. That guy totally deserve that and I was happy to see Tony left a mark.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
sueKay87
sueKay87
62. RE: Chat about 8.11 Ships in the Night
Jan 12 2011, 4:46 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 12 2011, 4:46 AM EST
Yeah I noticed a lot of similarities between the dead marine and Tony as well, and did you pick up the disdain in Tony's voice when he talked about rich guys?

Tony destroyed any chance to join his father's business, which may have seemed stupid, but ultimately turned out for the best, given how dishonest his dad is, and how he's a conman and has been bankrupt more than once.

Tony could likely have gotten into an Ivy League College to study business if he'd stuck by his father's side...Instead he focussed on sports, got a scholarship and did the degree he really wanted to, before becoming a cop.

And did you catch the comment Tony made about not needing any more money?? I thought that could be something, considering how expensive Tony's tastes appear to be...Could he have come into money, or given some of it away??

That last look from Tony in the bullpen..I couldn't quite figure out which way to take it, but my gut's telling me it's significant.
Do you find this valuable?    
KathleenPhelan
KathleenPhelan
63. RE: Chat about 8.11 Ships in the Night
Jan 12 2011, 6:04 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 12 2011, 6:04 AM EST
Afternoon everyone...I enjoyed the episode...even though I did cringe at the scene on the boat with Tony only because I knew that many would not appreciate or like that for what ever reasons.

I didn't pick up on whodunit until the end which is okay in my book. I liked that there was a nod to the marines and there is a military aspect to the show. Even though sometimes it may seem its lost.

Now, as for the romance? As it has been pointed out this isn't just a procedural show as much as some people want. It has been repeatedly said it isn't case driven its character driven and to me that's about relationships both platonic and romantic. If I wanted a documentary PBS and all the documentary shows on air would be the place to go.
tara_persad
tara_persad
64. RE: Chat about 8.11 Ships in the Night
Jan 12 2011, 6:05 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 12 2011, 6:09 AM EST
NCIS got 21.93 MILLION viewers last night!!! That was this season's highest!!! it was easily the most watched show last night.

WOW!!! That's soo cool; I was hoping that the episode got 19 million but feared the month long break would send it down, instead NCIS got an excellent 21,93 million viewers - AWESOME!!!! 21.93 million viewers - yay!!!! congrats ncis, lol :D :D
ui_hawks
ui_hawks
65. RE: Chat about 8.11 Ships in the Night
Jan 12 2011, 6:17 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 12 2011, 6:17 AM EST
"NCIS got 21.93 MILLION viewers last night!!! That was this season's highest!!! it was easily the most watched show last night.

WOW!!! That's soo cool; I was hoping that the episode got 19 million but feared the month long break would send it down, instead NCIS got an excellent 21,93 million viewers - AWESOME!!!! 21.93 million viewers - yay!!!! congrats ncis, lol :D :D"
Tara this one could be the highest episode ever...maybe you can check?
sueKay87
sueKay87
66. RE: Chat about 8.11 Ships in the Night
Jan 12 2011, 6:21 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 12 2011, 6:21 AM EST
"Tara this one could be the highest episode ever...maybe you can check?"
According to tvbythenumbers it's a series high, so yes!

I started a thread in the episode section for it :)
rosecake
rosecake
67. RE: Chat about 8.11 Ships in the Night
Jan 12 2011, 6:29 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 12 2011, 6:29 AM EST
"I agree with you, rose. There were a lot of similarities in Tony's background and the marine who died.

I also have a feeling there is more going on with Tony. Did you catch how when he and Ziva were talking about comp time Tony says something about how he needed more time to "respectfully date" women. A throwback to last episode when he was talking about Brenda. And yes, it is a shame that we are all happy that Tony seemed competent, when that should be the norm.

The interrogation scene was great and I loved Tony's punch in the bar. That guy totally deserve that and I was happy to see Tony left a mark."
Yes, I've heard Tony's words too and I think this could be a clue for Tony's future.
This could be the more serious and mature Tony that MW was talking about last Summer. The man that undersoond that even Gibbs has some lacks to him and for this reason he needs to build his own path alone, counting just on himself.
13NCISgirl
13NCISgirl
68. RE: Chat about 8.11 Ships in the Night
Jan 12 2011, 6:34 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 12 2011, 6:34 AM EST
That Episode last night was AWESOME!! I loved it! OMG almost 22 million viewers last night is amazing!! :) Can't wait 4 next week! Do you find this valuable?    
rosecake
rosecake
69. RE: Chat about 8.11 Ships in the Night
Jan 12 2011, 6:35 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 12 2011, 6:35 AM EST
"Yeah I noticed a lot of similarities between the dead marine and Tony as well, and did you pick up the disdain in Tony's voice when he talked about rich guys?

Tony destroyed any chance to join his father's business, which may have seemed stupid, but ultimately turned out for the best, given how dishonest his dad is, and how he's a conman and has been bankrupt more than once.

Tony could likely have gotten into an Ivy League College to study business if he'd stuck by his father's side...Instead he focussed on sports, got a scholarship and did the degree he really wanted to, before becoming a cop.

And did you catch the comment Tony made about not needing any more money?? I thought that could be something, considering how expensive Tony's tastes appear to be...Could he have come into money, or given some of it away??

That last look from Tony in the bullpen..I couldn't quite figure out which way to take it, but my gut's telling me it's significant."
I agree with you and Tony's last look was very significant. I don't know how, but I've got the feeling that that we'll see that look again and it will explain us Tony's recent behavior... at least I hope it wil. JMO
ui_hawks
ui_hawks
70. RE: Chat about 8.11 Ships in the Night
Jan 12 2011, 6:40 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 12 2011, 6:40 AM EST
"That Episode last night was AWESOME!! I loved it! OMG almost 22 million viewers last night is amazing!! :) Can't wait 4 next week!"
I agree...awesome!!
weatherlywatcher49
weatherlywatcher49
71. RE: Chat about 8.11 Ships in the Night
Jan 12 2011, 7:57 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 12 2011, 7:57 AM EST
"I don't know what faces and backpack, coat scene everyone is talking about :("
It was the last scene when Gibbs was talking to the marine lawyer that came in and told them what the dead marine had done with the company and money he had inherited.

Gibbs had told everyone to leave before the guy came in and Tony had already put on his backpack before putting on his coat. You can see the bulge on his back, lol. Also, MW was making many faces behind them - even my daughter noticed. I think he was trying to show Tony's emotions regarding what the marine had done with the money and also that Tony was tired since we all know MW goes beyond the norm to sell his character's moods.

Watch the last scene and you will see it all.
sueKay87
sueKay87
72. RE: Chat about 8.11 Ships in the Night
Jan 12 2011, 8:05 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 12 2011, 8:05 AM EST
With Tony's expressions while the marine was talking to Gibbs, I think first of all it was tiredness, and mild annoyance at feeling like he needed to stick around until the marines left, before it morphed into Tony using his tiredness as a way of hiding his feelings regarding what the dead marine had planned to do with the business. Do you find this valuable?    
gottahavemyncis
gottahavemyncis
73. RE: Chat about 8.11 Ships in the Night
Jan 12 2011, 8:09 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 12 2011, 8:09 AM EST
Thanks to everyone's takes on that scene with Tony - I did truly wonder and I like these ideas! Do you find this valuable?    
weatherlywatcher49
weatherlywatcher49
74. RE: Chat about 8.11 Ships in the Night
Jan 12 2011, 8:27 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 12 2011, 8:27 AM EST
"I noticed a lot of similarities between dead marine and Tony as well, and did you pick up the disdain in Tony's voice when he talked about rich guys?

That last look from Tony in the bullpen..I couldn't quite figure out which way to take it, but my gut's telling me it's significant."
Yeah, that last look came after Tony was talking about not taking his 3 weeks comp time because someone else would take his desk. He mentioned Bledsoe (Drew) and Tom Brady - quarterbacks for the New England Patriots and Brady's supermodel wife, Gisele Bundchen.

For anyone who does not know the backstory, Bledsoe was the starting quarterback for New England until 2001 when Brady took over. Brady was not touted as a top ranked quarterback - having been picked in the 6th round. But he has made a name for himself.

Brady has 3 Super Bowl rings and was voted Super Bowl MVP twice. And he is now making more money than his supermodel wife, who is the richest supermodel in the world.

After Tony brought these people up, Gibbs said, "The game is never over, DiNozzo." That's when Tony got that look on his face. I am not sure how this is supposed to be taken.or if it just a throw away kind of reference. Just thought I would bring this up since you mentioned that last look.

I did notice in the interrogation that Tony seemed really sickened by the fact that the guy he was interviewing was angry at the dead marine simply because he came from a rich family and was getting attention for the fact that he threw all the money away to serve his country. I was wondering if Tony felt a connection to that dead marine. Perhaps he was given a hard time at one of his other jobs because his father had money, etc. and yet he was a cop. I do remember Tony saying that he left Peoria after 16 months because of extenuating circumstances - just wonder if that could be the circumstances.

Alaskana
75. RE: Chat about 8.11 Ships in the Night
Jan 12 2011, 8:38 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 12 2011, 8:38 AM EST
I thought this episode was OK, not great but not awful. I thought it was pretty obvious from the beginning that the family was involved with the marine's murder. I did think it was very inappropriate for Tony to be making movie wisecracks considering they were investigating the death of a serviceman, a gangbanger sure, but not a decorated marine.

I hate to say this, but I find I am getting bored with the show and I've been giving it a lot of thought as to why that might be. I think I have concluded it's because of the stagnation of the characters. I'm thinking primarily of Tony, Ziva, and McGee here. Early on, these characters were very distinct personalities: Tony was the competent, wisecracking senior agent with a penchant for movies and practical jokes not to mention a touch of a superiority complex. Ziva was the mysterious and highly dangerous Mossad agent who wouldn't take anything from anyone. McGee was the insecure, bumbling newbie with a variety of neuroses (remember his fear of heights, boats, etc.) and a secret life as a writer. Now? Now we simply have three very competent almost interchangeable NCIS agents and those things that made them so unique have slowly disappeared. Sure, we'll still see Tony quote movies from time to time or Ziva take out some baddie but to me, it often feels like a token gesture. They have become too homogenous to me.

I may be the only one who feels like this and don't misunderstand, I will continue to watch, but it's becoming less of a "Must See" and more of a "I copied it on the DVR to watch later" kind of show and this makes me sad. I hope future shows will give some personality back to some of my favorite characters!

I
2  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    
weatherlywatcher49
weatherlywatcher49
76. RE: Chat about 8.11 Ships in the Night
Jan 12 2011, 8:53 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 12 2011, 8:53 AM EST
"Tony destroyed any chance to join his father's business, which may have seemed stupid, but ultimately turned out for the best, given how dishonest his dad is, and how he's a conman and has been bankrupt more than once.

"
Yes, I caught the comment about Tony not needing more money. I actually think that Tony has money that no one knows about - perhaps from his mother's side of the family. And I believe that he doesn't say anything about having lots of money because of what he feels his co-worker's reactions would be.

Remember South by Southwest when Tony thought he was going to inherit lots of money? He went on and on about it and was very excited. Then McGee told him how insufferable he was and Gibbs seemed worried about Tony getting the money. In the campfire scene, Gibbs even asked Tony if he was going to be with NCIS much longer if he got the money. Tony seemed stunned by the fact that Gibbs would even question whether Tony would stay or not.

Tony left a mansion to make his own way, becoming a cop and then a federal agent. When he won a bunch of money in the larceny lotto during "Code of Conduct," he did not keep the money, instead giving it to an urban youth group, saying that his gut was not for profit.

Maybe he feels if they knew he had money they would question why he stays at NCIS. And we all know that while Tony loves to talk about himself when it means nothing, when it means something, Tony clams up.
gottahavemyncis
gottahavemyncis
77. RE: Chat about 8.11 Ships in the Night
Jan 12 2011, 8:56 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 12 2011, 8:56 AM EST
"Yeah, that last look came after Tony was talking about not taking his 3 weeks comp time because someone else would take his desk. He mentioned Bledsoe (Drew) and Tom Brady - quarterbacks for the New England Patriots and Brady's supermodel wife, Gisele Bundchen.

For anyone who does not know the backstory, Bledsoe was the starting quarterback for New England until 2001 when Brady took over. Brady was not touted as a top ranked quarterback - having been picked in the 6th round. But he has made a name for himself.

Brady has 3 Super Bowl rings and was voted Super Bowl MVP twice. And he is now making more money than his supermodel wife, who is the richest supermodel in the world.

After Tony brought these people up, Gibbs said, "The game is never over, DiNozzo." That's when Tony got that look on his face. I am not sure how this is supposed to be taken.or if it just a throw away kind of reference. Just thought I would bring this up since you mentioned that last look.

I did notice in the interrogation that Tony seemed really sickened by the fact that the guy he was interviewing was angry at the dead marine simply because he came from a rich family and was getting attention for the fact that he threw all the money away to serve his country. I was wondering if Tony felt a connection to that dead marine. Perhaps he was given a hard time at one of his other jobs because his father had money, etc. and yet he was a cop. I do remember Tony saying that he left Peoria after 16 months because of extenuating circumstances - just wonder if that could be the circumstances."
Thanks for the Brady info - I did not understand that. reference. All I knew about Brady is that he'd married a supermodel & is a football player, not the 6th round football pick, etc. And had never heard of Bledsoe. Makes a whole lot more sense now.
Det.Beckett
Det.Beckett
78. RE: Chat about 8.11 Ships in the Night
Jan 12 2011, 9:01 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 12 2011, 9:01 AM EST
"I hate to say this, but I find I am getting bored with the show and I've been giving it a lot of thought as to why that might be. I think I have concluded it's because of the stagnation of the characters. I'm thinking primarily of Tony, Ziva, and McGee here. Early on, these characters were very distinct personalities: Tony was the competent, wisecracking senior agent with a penchant for movies and practical jokes not to mention a touch of a superiority complex. Ziva was the mysterious and highly dangerous Mossad agent who wouldn't take anything from anyone. McGee was the insecure, bumbling newbie with a variety of neuroses (remember his fear of heights, boats, etc.) and a secret life as a writer. Now? Now we simply have three very competent almost interchangeable NCIS agents and those things that made them so unique have slowly disappeared. Sure, we'll still see Tony quote movies from time to time or Ziva take out some baddie but to me, it often feels like a token gesture. They have become too homogenous to me.

I may be the only one who feels like this and don't misunderstand, I will continue to watch, but it's becoming less of a "Must See" and more of a "I copied it on the DVR to watch later" kind of show and this makes me sad. I hope future shows will give some personality back to some of my favorite characters!

I"
Hmm, I hadn't thought about it that way. I see some stagnation, but not interchangeable characters. Tony has been a little too goofy, McGee is almost never out in the field anymore, and Ziva only gets to beat up a few thugs every now and then. I'm a little unsure as to what can be done though. It wouldn't make sense just to back to S3 because everything's changed...
hadapurpura
hadapurpura
79. RE: Chat about 8.11 Ships in the Night
Jan 12 2011, 9:21 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 12 2011, 9:21 AM EST
On a random note, that bear looks evil. Do you find this valuable?    
Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next > Last

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)