My blog for today:

http://www.ncisfanwiki.com/page/NCIS+MODERATORS%27+BLOG+131

Just felt the need for a little vent.
Do you find this valuable?    
#1hotchfan
#1hotchfan
1. RE: Why No Awards
Dec 20 2010, 9:20 AM EST | Post edited: Dec 20 2010, 9:20 AM EST
To me, this is an obvious snub. Not sure why it doesn't fall in categories like "Favorite TV Crime Drama" or TV Drama. the cast, show, writers, etc. do a fantastic job - the ratings and fans speak volumes. But yet it's ALWAYS the same shows that get nominated and the same ones that get snubbed. I see the same shows up year after year and others, just as good, always get overlooked.

I believe they need a new panel of Judges on the decision making for nominations! Either this crew is really old and just keep picking the same shows over and over, they are biased or they just don't bother to get past the previous year's (or 10) worth of selections.
7  out of 7 found this valuable. Do you?    
Sorgiña
Sorgiña
2. RE: Why No Awards
Dec 20 2010, 9:20 AM EST | Post edited: Dec 20 2010, 9:20 AM EST
I think it's because the people who work on NCIS in front of and behind the cameras, go to do just that 'work', they don't brown nose like other series, there's no scandal surrounding any of the cast, permanent or guest. They're all concerned about doing a good job and producing a good quality series. They don't parade around glamourously. Pauley dresses up to support her left wing charities, but she does it quietly as do the others with their charity work.
None of them plays the Hollywood game, i.e. they're not interesting for those who give prizes. The Emmies and similar want superficial pretty faces, they're not interested in hard grafters like those at NCIS.
That's my theory, apart from the fact I'm sure a lot of palms get well-greased, legs opened and position assumed go along way to nominations becoming winners
7  out of 7 found this valuable. Do you?    

FFFrog
3. RE: Why No Awards
Dec 20 2010, 9:37 AM EST | Post edited: Dec 20 2010, 9:37 AM EST
I'd thought it had more to do with the lack of basic quality around the show these days. Its a lot of fun with a great cast but the stories aren't exactly well written and the general production standards are pretty shaky at times. People who comment on these things aren't really that favourably received because the show is so popular but these things are quite probably the things that keep the show as a good rather than a great one and that may well be what is costing them the awards. 1  out of 12 found this valuable. Do you?    
bellswebster
bellswebster
4. RE: Why No Awards
Dec 20 2010, 10:27 AM EST | Post edited: Dec 20 2010, 10:28 AM EST
I've often wondered myself about this. 20 million viewers can't be wrong. I have heard rumours for many years, that a bit of palm crossing goes on. Don't know if its true or not. If this were the case, NCIS wouldn't be a part of that. It wouldn't be an honour to win by mafia standards. The quality in this show is outstanding and always is so far ahead in the ratings and by other show populous. I think they deserve to win awards for lots of reasons, but if a show can stay on top for so long without awards, then who needs them. 8  out of 8 found this valuable. Do you?    

FFFrog
5. RE: Why No Awards
Dec 20 2010, 10:36 AM EST | Post edited: Dec 20 2010, 10:36 AM EST
"I've often wondered myself about this. 20 million viewers can't be wrong. I have heard rumours for many years, that a bit of palm crossing goes on. Don't know if its true or not. If this were the case, NCIS wouldn't be a part of that. It wouldn't be no honour to win by mafia standards. The quality in this show is outstanding and always is so far ahead in the ratings and by other show populous. I think they deserve awards for lots of reasons. If a show can stay on top for so long without awards, then who needs them. "
Mass market appeal rarely receives awards because it doesn't need to strive for excellence. They were nominated for Call of Silence becasue it was a fantastically written, fantastically played story which had real depth. Episodes like Truth and Consequences are well played but badly written and produced with major plot holes and that is the sort of thing that is likely to keep it from being of an award winning show.
1  out of 6 found this valuable. Do you?    
weatherlywatcher49
weatherlywatcher49
6. RE: Why No Awards
Dec 20 2010, 10:47 AM EST | Post edited: Dec 20 2010, 10:47 AM EST
"I'd thought it had more to do with the lack of basic quality around the show these days. Its a lot of fun with a great cast but the stories aren't exactly well written and the general production standards are pretty shaky at times. "
I agree that this may be part of the problem now. If episodes of NCIS such as "Call of Silence," "Requiem," and "Truth or Consequences," just to name a few - have not garnered awards for the writers, the show or the actors, then I do not see how the newer episodes are going to win.

"Call of Silence" should have definitely won an award - it was beautifully written and tugged at the heart - something that I have not seen in the newer episodes to such degree. The cast did a wonderful job and it totally showed the respect that NCIS gives to the men and women who protect our country. Charles Durning, a Silver Star recepient (not to mention 3 Purple Hearts) in real ife, did a wonderful job and should have won an award for his guest starring appearance. Again, if he did not win one, I do not hold out much hope for Bob Newhart (sorry Mark).

Michael Weatherly did not win an award for "Truth or Consequences." Nor did Mark Harmon for "Hiatus." Or David McCallum for "Broken Bird." With these performances having gone unnoticed, as well acted and as beautifully written as they were, I do not see NCIS winning one now.

I know that "Call of Silence," was pre-number one status, however, these other episodes were not. I do not think it has anything to do with "tree huggers" not liking the show - but more of a combination of what hotchfan, sorgina and fffrog have brought up. Basically being snubbed (as many great shows have in the past), not having any controversy on the set or surrounding it (because we all know that controversy makes for lots of publicity) and while good - not the quality of the past.
1  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    
sueKay87
sueKay87
7. RE: Why No Awards
Dec 20 2010, 10:48 AM EST | Post edited: Dec 20 2010, 10:50 AM EST
I think the show has annoyed the 'big stars' of Hollywood - it's the show that in their minds should never have been a hit. It was a spin off of a moderately successful show. JAG lasted 10 years, but it was a slow burn, had a modest increase in viewers before falling away towards the last few seasons. It was also much more markedly militaristic which (wrongly) would have put off some viewers.

In comes NCIS, and who honestly here actually knew what NCIS was before watching the show? It comes on at the height of CSI's popularity, which had to confuse people.

The industry wrote it off, and the industry does not like being proven wrong.

I see the lack of awards as both punishment for being a success against their bets, and also as a sign of the show's integrity. The showrunners and actors don't seem to schmooze or suck up to gain nominations like I'm certain other shows casts and crews do. I'm also fairly certain given how much some truly awful shows gets so much critical attention and praise is down to some dirty dealings that we'll never hear about.

And unfortunately in a wider context the nature of the show itself is a delicate issue. Some people see it as portraying the military either too positively or negatively. Some people have a problem with various other political angles in it. NCIS is one of the few shows that isn't afraid to be overtly political or to challenge peoples' opinions and perceptions. IMO too much contemporary TV just sticks with popular opinion.

In short, NCIS is different.

But just like Gibbs, the show doesn't need awards to keep it's ratings (or in Gibbs case his solve rate!) high.

All just MO :)
6  out of 6 found this valuable. Do you?    
weatherlywatcher49
weatherlywatcher49
8. RE: Why No Awards
Dec 20 2010, 10:54 AM EST | Post edited: Dec 20 2010, 10:54 AM EST
"Mass market appeal rarely receives awards because it doesn't need to strive for excellence. They were nominated for Call of Silence becasue it was a fantastically written, fantastically played story which had real depth. Episodes like Truth and Consequences are well played but badly written and produced with major plot holes and that is the sort of thing that is likely to keep it from being of an award winning show."
Ah, so "Call of Silence" was actually nominated. My bad. Still, it definitely should have won an award - as you said, it had real depth and was one of those episodes that tore at your heart. It was breathtaking and I could not take my eyes off the screen the entire time it played out. I still cry when I watch it - especially when Ernie and Kate are dancing. That is award winning material.

As I have said, I did not start watching and getting into NCIS until season 5 - backtracked and watched all the episodes so I was out of the loop on that award - sorry.
Do you find this valuable?    
weatherlywatcher49
weatherlywatcher49
9. RE: Why No Awards
Dec 20 2010, 10:57 AM EST | Post edited: Dec 20 2010, 10:57 AM EST
"I think the show has annoyed the 'big stars' of Hollywood - it's the show that in their minds should never have been a hit. It was a spin off of a moderately successful show. JAG lasted 10 years, but it was a slow burn, had a modest increase in viewers before falling away towards the last few seasons. It was also much more markedly militaristic which (wrongly) would have put off some viewers.

In comes NCIS, and who honestly here actually knew what NCIS was before watching the show? It comes on at the height of CSI's popularity, which had to confuse people.

The industry wrote it off, and the industry does not like being proven wrong.

I see the lack of awards as both punishment for being a success against their bets, and also as a sign of the show's integrity. The showrunners and actors don't seem to schmooze or suck up to gain nominations like I'm certain other shows casts and crews do. I'm also fairly certain given how much some truly awful shows gets so much critical attention and praise is down to some dirty dealings that we'll never hear about.

And unfortunately in a wider context the nature of the show itself is a delicate issue. Some people see it as portraying the military either too positively or negatively. Some people have a problem with various other political angles in it. NCIS is one of the few shows that isn't afraid to be overtly political or to challenge peoples' opinions and perceptions. IMO too much contemporary TV just sticks with popular opinion.

In short, NCIS is different.

But just like Gibbs, the show doesn't need awards to keep it's ratings (or in Gibbs case his solve rate!) high.

All just MO :)"
So basically NCIS is the little engine that could when the industry said it couldn't. *Smiles* I can see how that would be a problem as well no one likes to be proven wrong, much less give awards for it.
3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
bagpuss2
bagpuss2
10. RE: Why No Awards
Dec 20 2010, 10:57 AM EST | Post edited: Dec 20 2010, 10:57 AM EST
I'm not convinced that the show not winning any awards is political. I feel it has more to do with the judging panels not being in touch with public opinion and populist entertainment, and choosing instead to go more with shows they feel to be "cutting edge" or "worthier of consideration".
When "ET" lost out to "Ghandi" for the "Best Picture" award for 1982 , it was, as Steven Spielberg said at the time, because the latter was seen as what he descibed as an "Above the line" kind of movie . In other words, "Worthier".
It's snobbery at work here, not neccesarily politics.
sammysoso
sammysoso
11. RE: Why No Awards
Dec 20 2010, 11:00 AM EST | Post edited: Dec 20 2010, 11:00 AM EST
I think NCIS has these great moments, and great performances by certain actors in certain episodes, but there are too many "yea butts..."

Plot holes abound, and some of the dialouge makes you wince, and, frankly, a lot of the actual crimes are easy to read, and at worst, cliche.

However, NCIS is consistent in what it does, that's why many people come back, it doesn't really get bad, but it doesn't really excel either, I think the writers should take a little more risks, yes, mabye offending a part of the fanbase, but moving the show in general forward.
1  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    
MargyW
MargyW
12. RE: Why No Awards
Dec 20 2010, 11:38 AM EST | Post edited: Dec 20 2010, 11:38 AM EST
"I'm not convinced that the show not winning any awards is political. I feel it has more to do with the judging panels not being in touch with public opinion and populist entertainment, and choosing instead to go more with shows they feel to be "cutting edge" or "worthier of consideration".
When "ET" lost out to "Ghandi" for the "Best Picture" award for 1982 , it was, as Steven Spielberg said at the time, because the latter was seen as what he descibed as an "Above the line" kind of movie . In other words, "Worthier".
It's snobbery at work here, not neccesarily politics."
Dexter is hardly cutting edge....no pun intended, and it's getting award nominations.
MargyW
MargyW
13. RE: Why No Awards
Dec 20 2010, 11:38 AM EST | Post edited: Dec 20 2010, 11:38 AM EST
"Ah, so "Call of Silence" was actually nominated. My bad. Still, it definitely should have won an award - as you said, it had real depth and was one of those episodes that tore at your heart. It was breathtaking and I could not take my eyes off the screen the entire time it played out. I still cry when I watch it - especially when Ernie and Kate are dancing. That is award winning material.

As I have said, I did not start watching and getting into NCIS until season 5 - backtracked and watched all the episodes so I was out of the loop on that award - sorry.
"
From memory the episode didn't get an Emmy nom, but Charles Durning did for his role as Cpl Ernie Yost.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
bellswebster
bellswebster
14. RE: Why No Awards
Dec 20 2010, 11:54 AM EST | Post edited: Dec 20 2010, 11:54 AM EST
I have given up on quite a few shows as there storylines have been all about sex, relationships, special effects and having babies. None of the writers for these episodes have won awards, and their shows are still nominated for awards. So to me it makes no difference which episode did better than any other. Some will like an episode and another won't. Its the overall view of a television show that makes the difference. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
tara_persad
tara_persad
15. RE: Why No Awards
Dec 20 2010, 12:46 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 20 2010, 12:46 PM EST
"I think NCIS has these great moments, and great performances by certain actors in certain episodes, but there are too many "yea butts..."

Plot holes abound, and some of the dialouge makes you wince, and, frankly, a lot of the actual crimes are easy to read, and at worst, cliche.

However, NCIS is consistent in what it does, that's why many people come back, it doesn't really get bad, but it doesn't really excel either, I think the writers should take a little more risks, yes, mabye offending a part of the fanbase, but moving the show in general forward."
Many shows are like that, easy to predict the ending and whatnot and they get nominated. I think NCIS episodes are very well written, the plots are really good, as compared to other shows yet they get nominated when their plots are more or less the same or not as good as NCIS. Also many shows have episodes where the crimes are cliche and easy to figure out, I can name a few of those shows.

If NCIS wasn't good, of the plots and episodes wasn't very well written people won't tune in religiously every Tuesday to watch the new episodes. But it is a really good show, where the dialouge (in my opinion) is majority of the times excellent, the plots and writing is also good, better than many shows and the actors do a fantastic job in portraying their characters - that is why people tune is every Tuesday, that's why there are 19-20 million viewers.

But personally, I don't think that NCIS needs an award to show that they are they number 1 scripted show and highest rated drama; the viewers and rating already prove that, the fans know that no matter what. Award or no award, NCIS would always be number 1 to it's fans and the fans would always tune it. But yes, NCIS does deserve an award. But not to prove how good a show it is cause everybody already knows that.
rosecake
rosecake
16. RE: Why No Awards
Dec 20 2010, 1:54 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 20 2010, 1:54 PM EST
NCIS and its cast and crew deserve all awards of the world - period.

I think that in Hollywod world all shows that say something good about Armed Forces are hated.
We all know that Hollywood is leftish so they will never allowed a military show to win anything. It happend the same thing with JAG, when it was at his best.

The proof of that are People's Choice Awards 2009.
It's not possible that Dr. House (9 million viewers or even less) won against NCIS (20 million viewers or even more) on a competion decided by viewers' votes. And I do not buy the idea that Dr.H fans are younger than NCIS fans, and for this reason they vote more than us.
We've a lot of under 18 members here and according to cast's interviews NCIS viewers are getting more and more younger. I'm not a teenager (sigh) but I voted like a 15-year-old girl! lol
It's just polical and show biz interests.

This years NCIS has already won an award and probably (fingers crossed) will won PCA too, but just because they can no longer deny the evidence of the facts (people's appreciation and very high ratings) or they'd lose their credibility.
JMO

gottahavemyncis
gottahavemyncis
17. RE: Why No Awards
Dec 20 2010, 2:08 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 20 2010, 2:08 PM EST
"NCIS and its cast and crew deserve all awards of the world - period.

I think that in Hollywod world all shows that say something good about Armed Forces are hated.
We all know that Hollywood is leftish so they will never allowed a military show to win anything. It happend the same thing with JAG, when it was at his best.

The proof of that are People's Choice Awards 2009.
It's not possible that Dr. House (9 million viewers or even less) won against NCIS (20 million viewers or even more) on a competion decided by viewers' votes. And I do not buy the idea that Dr.H fans are younger than NCIS fans, and for this reason they vote more than us.
We've a lot of under 18 members here and according to cast's interviews NCIS viewers are getting more and more younger. I'm not a teenager (sigh) but I voted like a 15-year-old girl! lol
It's just polical and show biz interests.

This years NCIS has already won an award and probably (fingers crossed) will won PCA too, but just because they can no longer deny the evidence of the facts (people's appreciation and very high ratings) or they'd lose their credibility.
JMO

"
I agree with Marg\y & you, that this is politically motivated snub, year after year and it is extremely likely the military connection that costs the show, cast & crew the recognition they all so richly deserve. This is outrageous and the only award we can do anything about is People's Choice...and of course keep our posting going on this site to let them know how highly regarded they are by their fans.
#1hotchfan
#1hotchfan
18. RE: Why No Awards
Dec 20 2010, 4:35 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 20 2010, 4:35 PM EST
it's interesting to say that NCIS is the show that shouldn't have been. I watched JAG and was a huge fan - same with NCIS. I guess I'm not understanding why it would annoy 'big stars' of Hollywood - CSI was a big hit, still doesn't do bad, but it's had 2 spinoffs, both successful as well. So I'm not sure how it can annoy anyone - talented actors, good storylines, with an occasional 'eh' episode.

I'm also wondering if some find the show 'lacking' why are you still watching if you feel it's not that good? just curious...
2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
#1hotchfan
#1hotchfan
19. RE: Why No Awards
Dec 20 2010, 4:46 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 20 2010, 4:46 PM EST
"Dexter is hardly cutting edge....no pun intended, and it's getting award nominations."
I don't think Glee is all that great either.... but, that's my opinion and it's highly popular and getting awards. Why? cuz it's a musical?
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
2 3 4 5 | Next

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)