My blog entry for today:

http://www.ncisfanwiki.com/page/NCIS+MODERATORS%27+BLOG+113

Any feedback/discussion would be great.
Do you find this valuable?    
gottahavemyncis
gottahavemyncis
1. RE: Gibbs and Kids
Aug 30 2010, 11:56 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 30 2010, 11:56 AM EDT
Good points, Margy. I hadn't given much thought to why Gibbs is so good with kids - mostly laid it off to his having been a father. And I've not yet seen the JAG episodes that spun off NCIS, so wouldn't know. But this is very interesting information and yes, I'm always eager for more about Jethro. Re his mother's death, I've always supposed it happened sometime shortly before he left for the Marines.. My thinking on that 2 things Jackson & Jethro say: 1) Jackson's comment in Heartland that "you were such a happy child" and 2) something about a "white picket fence" upbringing which Jethro says yes, he had that. So that led me to believe his parents were alive & together at least during his younger years. But yes, how did Mom Gibbs die? Excellent question! We need Mom information for everyone but Ducky! Do you find this valuable?    
sueKay87
sueKay87
2. RE: Gibbs and Kids
Aug 30 2010, 1:58 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 30 2010, 1:59 PM EDT
I have a theory of sorts about Gibbs' childhood and teens:

Maybe everything was fine until he was about 11 or 12 which is when I guess his parents split up with it possibly being Jackson's fault...maybe he then went to live with his mother until her death which I'm thinking might have been an accident or short illness and suddenly he's without his mother and living back with his dad who he might have indirectly blamed for her death, and I recon due to his comment in 'Ice Queen' that he may possibly have seen his mother either die, or he may have seen her at her funeral. I think all that would easily explain why he was such an angry and disaffected teenager...It might also explain his motivation to join the Marines: 1 - Maybe he realised he needed discipline in his life and 2 - It might have in his mind pissed off Jackson, who a) wanted him to keep away from guns and b) might have wanted Gibbs to join the Air Force since he himself had been a pilot.

I do actually know someone who did that in reverse - Dad was Navy, but he's in the RAF
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
Mona92
Mona92
3. RE: Gibbs and Kids
Aug 30 2010, 3:28 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 30 2010, 3:28 PM EDT
Hi to all, those are some really interesting thoughts. I have always been interested what Gibbs' mother was like as in some part Gibbs is so different from Jackson. In Heartland there was a short passage when father and son were touching this issue but were unfortunately interrupted.
My take on this is that Gibbs has deeply missed his mother and something bad must have happened to her. Maybe Margy your theory is right that she was murdered and Gibbs either saw this or saw her body later. That must have traumatized him enormously. The scene from Ice Queen would be a good match for an event like this.
Like Suekay I was wondering why he was such an "angry and disaffected" teenager. He seemed not to like being helped by his dad. I can imagine that he had blamed his dad for his mother’s dad.
Often kids join the military if they are opposing their dads.
Some interesting lines from Jackson that support this theory are the following ones:
“I always thought that your mum and I had a love story for the ages”. That might have been in Gibbs’ younger years. Jackson went on," But you see, things did not work out between your mum and me”. What did he mean by this?and then,” When she died, I know how mad that made you. I know how angry you were that I got on with my life. I saw the look on your face, how you wanted vengeance”. I think here it is clearly said that Gibbs blames his Dad for his mother’s death.
gottahavemyncis
gottahavemyncis
4. RE: Gibbs and Kids
Aug 30 2010, 3:41 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 30 2010, 3:41 PM EDT
"Hi to all, those are some really interesting thoughts. I have always been interested what Gibbs' mother was like as in some part Gibbs is so different from Jackson. In Heartland there was a short passage when father and son were touching this issue but were unfortunately interrupted.
My take on this is that Gibbs has deeply missed his mother and something bad must have happened to her. Maybe Margy your theory is right that she was murdered and Gibbs either saw this or saw her body later. That must have traumatized him enormously. The scene from Ice Queen would be a good match for an event like this.
Like Suekay I was wondering why he was such an "angry and disaffected" teenager. He seemed not to like being helped by his dad. I can imagine that he had blamed his dad for his mother’s dad.
Some interesting lines from Jackson that support this theory are the following ones:
“I always thought that your mum and I had a love story for the ages”. That might have been in Gibbs’ younger years. Jackson went on," But you see, things did not work out between your mum and me”. What did he mean by this?and then,” When she died, I know how mad that made you. I know how angry you were that I got on with my life. I saw the look on your face, how you wanted vengeance”. I think here it is clearly said that Gibbs blames his Dad for his mother’s death.
"
I have got to watch Ice Queen! With what you all have said, the Gibbs' conversations in Heartland have a different context for me now. I was "just" thinking mom's unfortunate early death would have a profound effect...but a murder or violent death, YIKES!
MargyW
MargyW
5. RE: Gibbs and Kids
Aug 30 2010, 4:08 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 30 2010, 4:08 PM EDT
"Hi to all, those are some really interesting thoughts. I have always been interested what Gibbs' mother was like as in some part Gibbs is so different from Jackson. In Heartland there was a short passage when father and son were touching this issue but were unfortunately interrupted.
"
I got the feeling the Jethro didn't so much blame is father for his mother's death, but for going on with life. For living without her. For not, in young Jethro's eyes, properly mourning her.
think1959
think1959
6. RE: Gibbs and Kids
Aug 31 2010, 11:40 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 31 2010, 11:40 AM EDT
The very scene you describe is the one that completely hooked me on NCIS. I was courious about the show but thought it could not be as good as JAG. That scene told me how wrong I was! Also made Jethro Gibbs someone who I wanted to see more of and to find what else was under the blue eyes. Do you find this valuable?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)