My blog entry for today:

http://www.ncisfanwiki.com/page/NCIS+MODERATORS%27+BLOG+109

Any feedback/discussion would be great.
Do you find this valuable?    
tara_persad
tara_persad
1. RE: Gibbs and McGee
Aug 4 2010, 1:21 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 4 2010, 1:21 PM EDT
Margy I totally agree with you. And Gibbs really was hurt that McGee didn't come to him about his sister. And that was the first time he accepted an apology from McGee, let alone from any of his team mates.
Although Gibbs and McGee's relationship isn't as close as Gibbs and Tony's, I still like and admire their relationship and the respect and admiration they have for each other. IMO, McGee admires Gibbs and respects him alot and he also sort of worship him. To McGee, Gibbs is probably like a superhero or some awesome person, he is down to earth and wants nothing in return for what he does. The episode "Blackwater" after Tony says "it's all about the Benjamins (i am hoping he meant money), McGee says not always and looks at Gibbs. In the episode "Last Man Standing" McGee is shocked/surprised and happy to see Gibbs, he just kind of stares at him for a while. And there are many more moments where we see how mucg McGee respect and admires Gibbs.

Gibbs respect McGee and his knowledge in computers, hacking, etc. He is sometimes even amazed by how skilled McGee is in the field of computers and whatnot. Gibbs being a tough man and don't express his feelings very often is proud of McGee. I like that sly smile that crept on Gibbs face after he (Gibbs) disarmed the bomb and McGee said "guess that worked" or soemthing like that. Gibbs shows his love to McGee by calling him Tim every now and again and letting him have his way (feeling a little sorry for him). Lol, I like the Gibbs McGee scenes in "Ignition" haha, Gibbs glanced at McGee with respect and admiration. It was nice to give McGee the lead in that case "the price of being in charge" lol.
The Gibbs and McGee relationship is one of trust and respect and admiration. And it's a unique relationship. I like the scenes between them and hope there will be more and that their bond will continue to grow.
gottahavemyncis
gottahavemyncis
2. RE: Gibbs and McGee
Aug 4 2010, 1:48 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 4 2010, 1:48 PM EDT
"My blog entry for today:

http://www.ncisfanwiki.com/page/NCIS+MODERATORS%27+BLOG+109

Any feedback/discussion would be great."
Love this topic, Margy, one of my favorite relationships! As I've said elsewhere, IMO the relationship between McGee & Gibbs is different from Tony/Gibbs & Ziva/Gibbs because I don't believe McGee needs quite the parenting the other 2 do. Coaching/mentoring, absolutely, but Tim seems to have had the most normal childhood of our field team. I love it when Gibbs is proud of Tim and especially when he calls him Tim. Was the lipstick episode, and also when Kate died. Occasionally during the "hazing" years (Tony tormenting the Probie), yes, Gibbs came to McG's rescue or re-directed him. Forget what episode, but told him he was trying too hard and gave him the shaving cream. There is a lot of respect there - on McG's side anyway and I hope that is reciprocated. I was kind of surprised, at the end of the episode Caged, that Gibbs didn't respond with a little more something..l don't know what. One of my favorite McGee tells of how he feels about Gibbs (along w/ LMS, per Tara's post) is at the end of Escaped (?) when the Three figure out Gibbs is back to stay. Tony & Ziva look kind of upset (IMO) and McGee just lets out this big HUGE neon grin! YEAH, Boss is Back!
tara_persad
tara_persad
3. RE: Gibbs and McGee
Aug 4 2010, 2:11 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 4 2010, 2:11 PM EDT
"Love this topic, Margy, one of my favorite relationships! As I've said elsewhere, IMO the relationship between McGee & Gibbs is different from Tony/Gibbs & Ziva/Gibbs because I don't believe McGee needs quite the parenting the other 2 do. Coaching/mentoring, absolutely, but Tim seems to have had the most normal childhood of our field team. I love it when Gibbs is proud of Tim and especially when he calls him Tim. Was the lipstick episode, and also when Kate died. Occasionally during the "hazing" years (Tony tormenting the Probie), yes, Gibbs came to McG's rescue or re-directed him. Forget what episode, but told him he was trying too hard and gave him the shaving cream. There is a lot of respect there - on McG's side anyway and I hope that is reciprocated. I was kind of surprised, at the end of the episode Caged, that Gibbs didn't respond with a little more something..l don't know what. One of my favorite McGee tells of how he feels about Gibbs (along w/ LMS, per Tara's post) is at the end of Escaped (?) when the Three figure out Gibbs is back to stay. Tony & Ziva look kind of upset (IMO) and McGee just lets out this big HUGE neon grin! YEAH, Boss is Back! "
Haha, yeah I would never forget that part, McGee's smile was huge and neon, it's like he woke up on Christmas morning and the christmas tree is surounded with gifts for him. McGee was most happy that Gibbs was back. Ziva and Tont did have an odd expression, but I don't think it was an upset one, more surprised. Yeah, Gibbs should have given a better repsonse to McGee at the end of Cage.
ui_hawks
ui_hawks
4. RE: Gibbs and McGee
Aug 4 2010, 5:33 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 4 2010, 5:33 PM EDT
"Love this topic, Margy, one of my favorite relationships! As I've said elsewhere, IMO the relationship between McGee & Gibbs is different from Tony/Gibbs & Ziva/Gibbs because I don't believe McGee needs quite the parenting the other 2 do. Coaching/mentoring, absolutely, but Tim seems to have had the most normal childhood of our field team. I love it when Gibbs is proud of Tim and especially when he calls him Tim. Was the lipstick episode, and also when Kate died. Occasionally during the "hazing" years (Tony tormenting the Probie), yes, Gibbs came to McG's rescue or re-directed him. Forget what episode, but told him he was trying too hard and gave him the shaving cream. There is a lot of respect there - on McG's side anyway and I hope that is reciprocated. I was kind of surprised, at the end of the episode Caged, that Gibbs didn't respond with a little more something..l don't know what. One of my favorite McGee tells of how he feels about Gibbs (along w/ LMS, per Tara's post) is at the end of Escaped (?) when the Three figure out Gibbs is back to stay. Tony & Ziva look kind of upset (IMO) and McGee just lets out this big HUGE neon grin! YEAH, Boss is Back! "
Hi Gotta...loved that smile too...I just feel that Tim has worked hard to gain Gibbs respect...he didn't change what he does...the computer expert..he sort of changes Gibbs...all the computer stuff helps Gibbs so much in breaking cases...and even the rubbing off of some tech things has made Gibbs realize what a good decision it was to hire Tim. The kid has hung in there thru all the razzing...toughed it out and is now more confident in everything he does. It's a reflection of everyone on the team....and a credit.
marion612
marion612
5. RE: Gibbs and McGee
Aug 4 2010, 11:15 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 4 2010, 11:15 PM EDT
Interesting post. I find amusing that even though Gibbs and McGee are very different (and I mean very) Gibbs is actually the one who seems to understand / know McGee the best (with maybe the exception of Abby). He quickly understood that there were more to him than just meet the eye, never doubted him and did all he could so that he became a better agent. Not only is Gibbs glad to have him for his tech abilities but he is also training him in his weaker points : field work and standing up to people.
Sure there were times when Gibbs was harsh with him but that's who he is ,he was always fair and gave many good job when deserved and I think it was exactly what Tim needed. Gibbs was a good mentor to Tim and I think Tim really appreciates it.
McGee always respected Gibbs a lot, he heard about him even before they met and even wrote a book about him. Who could forget his smile when Gibbs came back as his boss? or how he would have done anything to work for him again after Vance separated the team?
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
MargyW
MargyW
6. RE: Gibbs and McGee
Aug 5 2010, 11:13 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 5 2010, 11:13 AM EDT
"Interesting post. I find amusing that even though Gibbs and McGee are very different (and I mean very) Gibbs is actually the one who seems to understand / know McGee the best (with maybe the exception of Abby). He quickly understood that there were more to him than just meet the eye, never doubted him and did all he could so that he became a better agent. Not only is Gibbs glad to have him for his tech abilities but he is also training him in his weaker points : field work and standing up to people.
Sure there were times when Gibbs was harsh with him but that's who he is ,he was always fair and gave many good job when deserved and I think it was exactly what Tim needed. Gibbs was a good mentor to Tim and I think Tim really appreciates it.
McGee always respected Gibbs a lot, he heard about him even before they met and even wrote a book about him. Who could forget his smile when Gibbs came back as his boss? or how he would have done anything to work for him again after Vance separated the team?"
There is a huge chunk of hero worship in the way McGee regards Gibbs.
1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
HardKore71
HardKore71
7. RE: Gibbs and McGee
Aug 5 2010, 12:54 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 5 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
"There is a huge chunk of hero worship in the way McGee regards Gibbs."
I always thought it was rather endearing the way he looks up to Gibbs. I was suprised and not suprised when he didn't go to Gibbs directly in Twisted Sister.
And he did deserve the double headslap from Abby and DiNozzo when he said about Gibbs '"I like him nice" in, Kill Ari.
McGee had potential as an agent and Gibbs recognized it immediately, but he also knew that McGee needed toughening up, hence his tacit approval of DiNozzo's hazing process and Gibbs himself being somewhat harsh with his young study.
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
marion612
marion612
8. RE: Gibbs and McGee
Aug 5 2010, 11:47 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 5 2010, 11:47 PM EDT
"I always thought it was rather endearing the way he looks up to Gibbs. I was suprised and not suprised when he didn't go to Gibbs directly in Twisted Sister.
And he did deserve the double headslap from Abby and DiNozzo when he said about Gibbs '"I like him nice" in, Kill Ari.
McGee had potential as an agent and Gibbs recognized it immediately, but he also knew that McGee needed toughening up, hence his tacit approval of DiNozzo's hazing process and Gibbs himself being somewhat harsh with his young study."
I find it endearing too, it was particularly "cute" at the beginning when McGee was young and looking up to Gibbs in a " I want to be just like him when I grow up" way (minus the computer illeterate stuff).
But McGee always regarded Gibbs as a human being , able to make mistake or to get hurt , while Tony seems to see him larger than life (and is often right as Gibbs is almost a god in NCIS).
He did deserve the headslap but it also showed us that Tim likes people to be nice to him. Gibbs was harsh to him but only when he had a reason : to make him work faster, because he made a mistake and it was good to toughen him up. I don't see that Gibbs approved the bullying so much in fact except in family when he didn't blame Tony for supergluing McGee's hands (and IMO he did it to let Tony who was suffering off the hook) he always defended McGee : he said don't when he saw Tony headslap McGee, he headslapped Tony several times when he was annoying McGee and Tony often smartly waits for Gibbs to leave before "hazzing " (as ridiculous the notion of hazzing someone who has been working with you for 6 years is) because he knows Gibbs wouldn't approve.
HardKore71
HardKore71
9. RE: Gibbs and McGee
Aug 6 2010, 12:00 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 6 2010, 12:00 AM EDT
"I find it endearing too, it was particularly "cute" at the beginning when McGee was young and looking up to Gibbs in a " I want to be just like him when I grow up" way (minus the computer illeterate stuff).
But McGee always regarded Gibbs as a human being , able to make mistake or to get hurt , while Tony seems to see him larger than life (and is often right as Gibbs is almost a god in NCIS).
He did deserve the headslap but it also showed us that Tim likes people to be nice to him. Gibbs was harsh to him but only when he had a reason : to make him work faster, because he made a mistake and it was good to toughen him up. I don't see that Gibbs approved the bullying so much in fact except in family when he didn't blame Tony for supergluing McGee's hands (and IMO he did it to let Tony who was suffering off the hook) he always defended McGee : he said don't when he saw Tony headslap McGee, he headslapped Tony several times when he was annoying McGee and Tony often smartly waits for Gibbs to leave before "hazzing " (as ridiculous the notion of hazzing someone who has been working with you for 6 years is) because he knows Gibbs wouldn't approve."
In the beginning when he was a probie, probably up to season 4 he allowed the hazing. After that DiNozzo couldn't do it in front of Gibbs like before. Tim is a nice guy, but in that type of business you can't afford to be too nice...
marion612
marion612
10. RE: Gibbs and McGee
Aug 6 2010, 12:48 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 6 2010, 12:48 AM EDT
"In the beginning when he was a probie, probably up to season 4 he allowed the hazing. After that DiNozzo couldn't do it in front of Gibbs like before. Tim is a nice guy, but in that type of business you can't afford to be too nice..."
Well I disagree, sorry, Dinozzo even as early as S2 looked around to check if Gibbs wasn't there before bullying McGee (the coffee thing for example or when he headslapped him) in season 3 Gibbs often came to McGee's defense proving that he didn't allow it. In fact Gibbs came to his rescue more at the beginning , then McGee became more and more able to do it himself (in S7 McGee is giving as good as he gets so Gibbs rarely needs to intervene).
I do agree that for this job you can't be too nice but no need to be not nice with coworkers. Gibbs did teach him to stand up for himself because that's what he needed : he told him to say "stick it " to even an important person if they go too far, that he was a good agent and not let people tell him otherwise, that saying no to an order could be the right thing to do etc...
Gibbs can be harsh to toughen him up but he is always fair , he didn't bully him just because he was green ( bullying does not toughen people up, just the contrary and it creates resentment) , he was demanding (he is demanding to the others too) but he also encourages him a lot (in fact after Abby I think McGee is the one who got the most "good job")
MargyW
MargyW
11. RE: Gibbs and McGee
Aug 8 2010, 11:48 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 8 2010, 11:48 AM EDT
"Well I disagree, sorry, Dinozzo even as early as S2 looked around to check if Gibbs wasn't there before bullying McGee (the coffee thing for example or when he headslapped him) in season 3 Gibbs often came to McGee's defense proving that he didn't allow it. In fact Gibbs came to his rescue more at the beginning , then McGee became more and more able to do it himself (in S7 McGee is giving as good as he gets so Gibbs rarely needs to intervene).
I do agree that for this job you can't be too nice but no need to be not nice with coworkers. Gibbs did teach him to stand up for himself because that's what he needed : he told him to say "stick it " to even an important person if they go too far, that he was a good agent and not let people tell him otherwise, that saying no to an order could be the right thing to do etc...
Gibbs can be harsh to toughen him up but he is always fair , he didn't bully him just because he was green ( bullying does not toughen people up, just the contrary and it creates resentment) , he was demanding (he is demanding to the others too) but he also encourages him a lot (in fact after Abby I think McGee is the one who got the most "good job")"
You could say that Gibbs brings a lot of his training as a USMC Gunny to bear on the training of both Tony and McGee.
marion612
marion612
12. RE: Gibbs and McGee
Aug 8 2010, 11:56 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 8 2010, 11:56 AM EDT
"You could say that Gibbs brings a lot of his training as a USMC Gunny to bear on the training of both Tony and McGee."
Absolutely, he is stern and harsh and demanding but not without good reason and he also knows when to congratulate, like a good CO or a old school teacher
I wonder why he is a bit less harsh with women though (and Abby is in a different category).
MargyW
MargyW
13. RE: Gibbs and McGee
Aug 8 2010, 12:16 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 8 2010, 12:16 PM EDT
"Absolutely, he is stern and harsh and demanding but not without good reason and he also knows when to congratulate, like a good CO or a old school teacher
I wonder why he is a bit less harsh with women though (and Abby is in a different category)."
Gibbs would have been brought out with old fashioned values. One of them being respect for women. And to view them as the weaker sex. Not true, we know, but the things learned in childhood are the things that remain with us.
marion612
marion612
14. RE: Gibbs and McGee
Aug 8 2010, 12:19 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 8 2010, 12:19 PM EDT
"Gibbs would have been brought out with old fashioned values. One of them being respect for women. And to view them as the weaker sex. Not true, we know, but the things learned in childhood are the things that remain with us."
Yes you are right (aren't you always) I remember him and Ducky speaking about their macho ways after Kate was shot.

ncislover2003
15. RE: Gibbs and McGee
Aug 8 2010, 12:24 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 8 2010, 12:24 PM EDT
McGee and Gibbs are one of my favorite relationships because we could really see Gibbs training a green and new agent. McGee arrived with little experience, eager to learn from him and Gibbs did a good job with him . 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
marion612
marion612
16. RE: Gibbs and McGee
Aug 12 2010, 7:37 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 12 2010, 7:37 AM EDT
"McGee and Gibbs are one of my favorite relationships because we could really see Gibbs training a green and new agent. McGee arrived with little experience, eager to learn from him and Gibbs did a good job with him ."
I agree and having watched " sub rosa" recently we can see how far Tim has gotten since his arrival, all thanks to Gibbs ( and McGee himself of course but without Gibbs he wouldn't have got the opportunity to work for the MCRT).
weatherlywatcher49
weatherlywatcher49
17. RE: Gibbs and McGee
Aug 25 2010, 8:55 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 25 2010, 8:55 PM EDT
"Well I disagree, sorry, Dinozzo even as early as S2 looked around to check if Gibbs wasn't there before bullying McGee (the coffee thing for example or when he headslapped him) in season 3 Gibbs often came to McGee's defense proving that he didn't allow it. "
Tony was never afraid to tease McGee in front of Gibbs. If we are thinking about the same coffee incident - he looked around because he was tricking McGee into drinking Gibbs' coffee. Head slapping - yeah. Teasing - no. As far as Tony being harsh on McGee at first with the hazing I have to point out two things - 1) Kate hazed McGee almost as much as Tony did and 2) Abby pointed out that Tony was hard on newbies because he had learned it from Gibbs.

Gibbs goes along with quite a bit of the teasing - whether it is Tony doing it to McGee, McGee doing it to Tony or Tony and Ziva teasing each other. Someone mentioned Gibbs being nice to Tim by handing him the shaving cream and saying he was trying too hard in Iced- yes, he did. But not before he went along with Tony's teasing about McGee's lotion. Even though he took the lotion out of Tony's hands and gave it to McGee he told McGee he admired his feminine glow in the elevator.

Gibbs knew that McGee was smart but he wasn't as tough as he could be - now McGee is. And while Gibbs never understands what McGee is trying to say as far as technology goes - he trusts McGee to find the answers he needs when using the technology.
TrinaXO
TrinaXO
18. RE: Gibbs and McGee
Aug 25 2010, 11:25 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 25 2010, 11:27 PM EDT
Ok this may be hugely unpopular and people may throw rocks at me (just not hard please) but in my opinion....... I think the Gibbs and McGee dynamic is boring, and has no chemistry what so ever, any scene with McGee and Gibbs just doesn't grab me and i find myself completely void of any emotion.

An example of my non-emotional involvement would be in the scene with both Gibbs and McGee diffusing the bomb in season 7, should of been high tension but - I was more like pfffft.... McGee, Gibbs, bomb oh well. On in the scene with McGee in Gibbs house after McGee takes Gibbs home.... Again nothing, boring... And its not just season 7 scenes even in Probie where Gibbs apologised to McGee...Nadda-zip-zich I was like ok whatever. But the McGee and Tony scene was wonderful...

Now I don't know if its just because I personally see less on screen chemistry between the actors MH and SM (who are both brilliant actors) as a posed to the chemistry between say MH and MW who I believe light up the screen in their scenes or if its just the characters I'm not sure., but the McGee and Gibbs thing bores me.

In saying this I have nothing against the characters or actors individually. I mean I love Tony McGee scenes or McGee and Abby, Gibbs and Tony rock as does say Ducky and Gibbs, and I am not a fan of say Ziva and Gibbs scenes either or Ziva and Tony scenes, but I like Ziva and say ducky or even McGee scenes..... So its not like I dislike either mcGee and Gibbs just their scenes together..

Does that even make sense......???
But thats just my opinion.
0  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

FFFrog
19. RE: Gibbs and McGee
Aug 25 2010, 11:50 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 25 2010, 11:50 PM EDT
I don't think they have any chemistry together either. They are great with other people but totaly flat together in my opinion. 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
2 3 4 5 | Next

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)