Discussion: Sean Murray - Timothy McGee : A Positive Thread !Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 121 - 140 of 183  |  Show  posts at a time
First < Previous | 6 7 8 9 10 | Next

FFFrog
122. RE: Sean Murray - Timothy McGee : A Positive Thread !
Aug 12 2010, 11:35 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 12 2010, 11:35 AM EDT
"of course it is look at Tony / Ziva
Tony is not a mentor because he called someone by this name, do you think he is Ziva's mentor too?"
Yes. He was Kate's mentor too.
Do you find this valuable?    
marion612
marion612
123. RE: Sean Murray - Timothy McGee : A Positive Thread !
Aug 12 2010, 11:37 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 12 2010, 11:37 AM EDT
"Yes. He was Kate's mentor too. "
Wow , do you think too lowly of Gibbs or too highly of Tony?

We will never agree so I’ll accept that you consider Tony as McGee’s mentor not Gibbs and you’ll have to accept that I do not see him as his mentor but saw Gibbs as his mentor.
I have several examples of Gibbs teaching McGee , asking for his opinion , giving him advice, helping him find clues and make deductions. I have none of Tony doing the same thing. I , on the other hand, have examples of Tony being dismissive of his ideas or humiliating him(not being angry when he hesitates , digresses or commits a mistake, a mentor needs to do that to make him into a more confident, capable person) or giving him deliberate bad advice , which IMO a mentor should not do. He also told him he was a lousy shot and that he took bad pictures, I do not call that building self confidence I call that destroying it. These things prove to me that at this point Tony was not ready : he was still too much in an antagonist/competitive spirit, a mentor should be IMO above such things because the most important to him is what the student will gain from the situation not what he will gain. Gibbs wants McGee to progress as an agent, Tony doesn’t, he wants Tim to be inferior to him (and often tells him so)
However I also have plenty of examples of Tony cheering up and supporting McGee when McGee felt he had angered or disappointed their mentor and boss : Gibbs to whom they all look up to . Each teammate (Tony , Kate, Ziva and Tim) did that at one point for each other, it does not make them mentors, it makes them good people and good friends. Maybe you saw this as being a mentor.
Don’t get me wrong I would like to see Tony being a mentor and I thought he could be a great mentor to Dwayne (rookie from S6). I wanted to see that because I feel I haven’t.

FFFrog
124. RE: Sean Murray - Timothy McGee : A Positive Thread !
Aug 12 2010, 11:46 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 12 2010, 11:46 AM EDT
Those are all examples of the way Gibbs treats Tony yet you accept their relationship to be one of mentor/mentee. A mentor and a boss are sometimes two very different relationships. And, regardless of personal wants, Gibbs very clearly does consider that Tony has the same relationship with McGee that he had with Franks or he would never have made the comparison for McGee. Do you find this valuable?    
marion612
marion612
125. RE: Sean Murray - Timothy McGee : A Positive Thread !
Aug 12 2010, 11:52 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 12 2010, 11:53 AM EDT
"Those are all examples of the way Gibbs treats Tony yet you accept their relationship to be one of mentor/mentee. A mentor and a boss are sometimes two very different relationships. And, regardless of personal wants, Gibbs very clearly does consider that Tony has the same relationship with McGee that he had with Franks or he would never have made the comparison for McGee."
I don't remember Gibbs giving Tony bad advice or lying so that Tony won't get an assignment or being dismissive of Tony's ideas or competing with Tony to get an assignment.
Again I just saw Gibbs explaining that probie was not an insult not planifying McGee's and Tony's future life and relation.
How do you expalin that Gibbs interferes in their relation , telling Tim not to let Tony tell him he is a bad agent" or preventing Tony from messing with McGee.

FFFrog
126. RE: Sean Murray - Timothy McGee : A Positive Thread !
Aug 12 2010, 12:00 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 12 2010, 12:00 PM EDT
"I don't remember Gibbs giving Tony bad advice or lying so that Tony won't get an assignment or being dismissive of Tony's ideas or competing with Tony to get anassignment.
Again I just saw Gibbs explaining that probie was not an insult not planifying McGee's and Tony's future life and relation."
The only reason that the term would not be an insult is if there was some form of bond between the two using it and that bond is one of Menor/Mentee or paratners. Just like the one taht Gibbs used as his example. Ziva couldn't start calling McGee Probie for example. As for Iraq, McGee was never going to be competition for Tony's part in that mission because there was no way he could have lead it at that point so he wasn't cheated out of a mission though he certainly learnt a swift lesson in trusting his own instincts.
Det.Beckett
Det.Beckett
127. RE: Sean Murray - Timothy McGee : A Positive Thread !
Aug 12 2010, 12:53 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 12 2010, 12:53 PM EDT
But notice McGee doesn't really call Ziva Probie either. He's more senior than she is, but he isn't her mentor.

I think Tony is McGee's mentor in a "big brother" sort of way, but because he's not his boss the way Mike Franks was he isn't responsible for mentoring McGee. He gives McGee grief because he wants Tim to remember who is SFA. Doesn't mean he won't give advice from his experience when Tim really needs it. He does that with Ziva too sometimes, but he can't exactly be called her mentor.
HardKore71
HardKore71
128. RE: Sean Murray - Timothy McGee : A Positive Thread !
Aug 12 2010, 3:35 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 12 2010, 3:37 PM EDT
"But notice McGee doesn't really call Ziva Probie either. He's more senior than she is, but he isn't her mentor.

I think Tony is McGee's mentor in a "big brother" sort of way, but because he's not his boss the way Mike Franks was he isn't responsible for mentoring McGee. He gives McGee grief because he wants Tim to remember who is SFA. Doesn't mean he won't give advice from his experience when Tim really needs it. He does that with Ziva too sometimes, but he can't exactly be called her mentor. "
I think this view makes the most sense so far. Well the one i would agree with the most if that means anything.

FFFrog and Marion, just remember both of you are my probies! Stand tall laces up Probies!

FFFrog
129. RE: Sean Murray - Timothy McGee : A Positive Thread !
Aug 12 2010, 8:22 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 12 2010, 8:22 PM EDT
"But notice McGee doesn't really call Ziva Probie either. He's more senior than she is, but he isn't her mentor.

I think Tony is McGee's mentor in a "big brother" sort of way, but because he's not his boss the way Mike Franks was he isn't responsible for mentoring McGee. He gives McGee grief because he wants Tim to remember who is SFA. Doesn't mean he won't give advice from his experience when Tim really needs it. He does that with Ziva too sometimes, but he can't exactly be called her mentor. "
A lot has been built on what Gibbs relationship to Franks was without much input from the show. Gibbs called Franks his first partner and he clearly trained him but their relationship was somewhat different from the current setup because of the numbers. Now we have a team, then they were partners and that is the difference I think. Based on what NCIS has shown, your boss isn't hte one who calls you Probie. Your partner is. An it is your partner who will also be your mentor and who will learn most from.
HardKore71
HardKore71
130. RE: Sean Murray - Timothy McGee : A Positive Thread !
Aug 12 2010, 8:27 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 12 2010, 8:27 PM EDT
If anything Probie is just another term for rookie Do you find this valuable?    
ui_hawks
ui_hawks
131. RE: Sean Murray - Timothy McGee : A Positive Thread !
Aug 13 2010, 7:00 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 13 2010, 7:00 AM EDT
"A lot has been built on what Gibbs relationship to Franks was without much input from the show. Gibbs called Franks his first partner and he clearly trained him but their relationship was somewhat different from the current setup because of the numbers. Now we have a team, then they were partners and that is the difference I think. Based on what NCIS has shown, your boss isn't hte one who calls you Probie. Your partner is. An it is your partner who will also be your mentor and who will learn most from."
If you are saying Tim has learned the most from Tony...I have to disagree...he has learned "some things" from Tony...but he has learned the most from Gibbs. I think Tony has shown Tim some of the "fun" he missed out of at college...the heckling, the gluing of fingers...making the youngest do the crap stuff...it's really college frat stuff...and that came through loud and clear during the earlier seasons....but Gibbs asks Tim..what do you think...what should we be looking for...what do you think we should do...a mentor allows for learning and growth...I always felt Tony's intentions for Tim was to have a little fun with the new guy...I don't think Tony sees himself as a teacher....of course...Tony might think that Tim is learning by example....and Tim has learned how to not take it any more and how to fight back...I'm not sure that is what Tony was expecting...however it might have been what Gibbs was expecting....and please know that I like both characters...they bring fun and laughter to serious business.....so mentor, not really...brothers trying to show off for Gibbs or catch Gibbs eye...yes...will they back one another...always...do they care for one another ...definately...it's a really interesting relationship...one that will continue to grow and change as they both mature.

FFFrog
132. RE: Sean Murray - Timothy McGee : A Positive Thread !
Aug 13 2010, 7:20 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 13 2010, 7:20 AM EDT
"If you are saying Tim has learned the most from Tony...I have to disagree...he has learned "some things" from Tony...but he has learned the most from Gibbs. I think Tony has shown Tim some of the "fun" he missed out of at college...the heckling, the gluing of fingers...making the youngest do the crap stuff...it's really college frat stuff...and that came through loud and clear during the earlier seasons....but Gibbs asks Tim..what do you think...what should we be looking for...what do you think we should do...a mentor allows for learning and growth...I always felt Tony's intentions for Tim was to have a little fun with the new guy...I don't think Tony sees himself as a teacher....of course...Tony might think that Tim is learning by example....and Tim has learned how to not take it any more and how to fight back...I'm not sure that is what Tony was expecting...however it might have been what Gibbs was expecting....and please know that I like both characters...they bring fun and laughter to serious business.....so mentor, not really...brothers trying to show off for Gibbs or catch Gibbs eye...yes...will they back one another...always...do they care for one another ...definately...it's a really interesting relationship...one that will continue to grow and change as they both mature."
Gibbs demands answers. What Tim has learnt from Tony is how to get and give those answers and how to anticipate the questions. Working with Tony is what has taught Tim to be an investigator. Its the nature of a team. You don't learn how to do the job from the boss. You learn it from the man working beside you.
marion612
marion612
133. RE: Sean Murray - Timothy McGee : A Positive Thread !
Aug 13 2010, 7:25 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 13 2010, 7:29 AM EDT
"Gibbs demands answers. What Tim has learnt from Tony is how to get and give those answers and how to anticipate the questions. Working with Tony is what has taught Tim to be an investigator. Its the nature of a team. You don't learn how to do the job from the boss. You learn it from the man working beside you."
Exept that it is Gibbs who taught Tim to "anticipate" not Tony and it was clear that when Gibbs wanted answer he wanted them as fast as possible , I don't think you need someone else to tell you that.
Plus Gibbs (just like Tony, Kate, Ziva , Lee) has worked beside McGee.

You seem to think that Tony was partnered with him but in fact if you watch S2 the partners are more Tony/ Kate and Gibbs / Mcgee (but the groups change) , Tony was not the guy always with him or even the most with him.

Plus as I said some people will think Gibbs had nothing to do with Tim's training and some will think he did train him , MMV , let's agree to disagree and stay on topic, why do you like McGee.

FFFrog
134. RE: Sean Murray - Timothy McGee : A Positive Thread !
Aug 13 2010, 7:55 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 13 2010, 7:55 AM EDT
"Exept that it is Gibbs who taught Tim to "anticipate" not Tony and it was clear that when Gibbs wanted answer he wanted them as fast as possible , I don't think you need someone else to tell you that.
Plus Gibbs (just like Tony, Kate, Ziva , Lee) has worked beside McGee.

You seem to think that Tony was partnered with him but in fact if you watch S2 the partners are more Tony/ Kate and Gibbs / Mcgee (but the groups change) , Tony was not the guy always with him or even the most with him.

Plus as I said some people will think Gibbs had nothing to do with Tim's training and some will think he did train him , MMV , let's agree to disagree and stay on topic, why do you like McGee."
Its easy to get caught up in what we want to see rather than what is actually in the show. It is clear that Tony considers McGee his probie given the use of the name. It is also clear that Gibbs agrees in that he backed its use and likened it to his original partner's use of the name. However what that ultimately means by way of their partnership is open to interpretation and you take from it what you will.
marion612
marion612
135. RE: Sean Murray - Timothy McGee : A Positive Thread !
Aug 13 2010, 8:03 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 13 2010, 8:03 AM EDT
"Its easy to get caught up in what we want to see rather than what is actually in the show. It is clear that Tony considers McGee his probie given the use of the name. It is also clear that Gibbs agrees in that he backed its use and likened it to his original partner's use of the name. However what that ultimately means by way of their partnership is open to interpretation and you take from it what you will."
I t is clear that Tony considered him A probie ie rookie and that is why he called him that. funny that you don't see Gibbs training him by the way because it is in the show, basing a whole relationship on a word is pretty illogical, I'd rather face the fact and watch the show ( 7 years) instead of focusing on a sentence Gibbs said to McGee so as not let him be resentful of Tony
ui_hawks
ui_hawks
136. RE: Sean Murray - Timothy McGee : A Positive Thread !
Aug 13 2010, 8:59 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 13 2010, 8:59 AM EDT
"Its easy to get caught up in what we want to see rather than what is actually in the show. It is clear that Tony considers McGee his probie given the use of the name. It is also clear that Gibbs agrees in that he backed its use and likened it to his original partner's use of the name. However what that ultimately means by way of their partnership is open to interpretation and you take from it what you will."
In the show the only time I can remember Tony calling Tim his partner was in S7 T & C...all other times Tony says my partner Kate...my partner Ziva..it is either probie or Mc Gee when referring to Tim...not until Ziva was gone did Tony actually address Tim as a partner....I am okay with that because Tim was the rookie...learning...I think Tim learned from everyone...you can watch him listening...and saving the knowledge...trying not to make the same mistake twice....and this is a space for positive Tim stuff. I enjoy the character, I enjoy the growth and I enjoy Sean Murray's concept of Tim,,,he makes the character very likable.

FFFrog
137. RE: Sean Murray - Timothy McGee : A Positive Thread !
Aug 13 2010, 11:27 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 13 2010, 11:27 AM EDT
"I t is clear that Tony considered him A probie ie rookie and that is why he called him that. funny that you don't see Gibbs training him by the way because it is in the show, basing a whole relationship on a word is pretty illogical, I'd rather face the fact and watch the show ( 7 years) instead of focusing on a sentence Gibbs said to McGee so as not let him be resentful of Tony "
I've seen those years of Tim working with Tony and I've seen the show use a specific training scene between Gibbs and Tim to highlight how out of character Gibbs was during that time. Gibbs trained them all overall but the day to day lessons of how to be an agent will have come from Tony because he is the one actually doing it.
yasmin-96
yasmin-96
138. RE: Sean Murray - Timothy McGee : A Positive Thread !
Aug 14 2010, 1:38 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 14 2010, 1:38 AM EDT
megee is so cute. he's like a computer with all that knowledge in his mind. it's so cool. and i like the way he's lost a lot of weight. when my mum seen it she asked me was it the same guy and i was like yes and she said no way and i spent 5 minutes saying it was him because she wouldn't beleive me haha Do you find this valuable?    
gottahavemyncis
gottahavemyncis
139. RE: Sean Murray - Timothy McGee : A Positive Thread !
Aug 14 2010, 1:14 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 14 2010, 1:14 PM EDT
"In the show the only time I can remember Tony calling Tim his partner was in S7 T & C...all other times Tony says my partner Kate...my partner Ziva..it is either probie or Mc Gee when referring to Tim...not until Ziva was gone did Tony actually address Tim as a partner....I am okay with that because Tim was the rookie...learning...I think Tim learned from everyone...you can watch him listening...and saving the knowledge...trying not to make the same mistake twice....and this is a space for positive Tim stuff. I enjoy the character, I enjoy the growth and I enjoy Sean Murray's concept of Tim,,,he makes the character very likable."
Hear hear, ui! You know I feel the same way!!! Without a military, law enforcement or covert operations background, Tim has had to work hard and he's learned from each member of his team. How to investigate, how to anticipate, how to think on his feet, to be observant, how to think outside the box when necessary, he's learned more about forensics and I suppose human behavior & anatomy as far as Ducky's lessons are concerned. And how to stand up for himself.
HardKore71
HardKore71
140. RE: Sean Murray - Timothy McGee : A Positive Thread !
Aug 14 2010, 6:58 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 14 2010, 6:58 PM EDT
"Hear hear, ui! You know I feel the same way!!! Without a military, law enforcement or covert operations background, Tim has had to work hard and he's learned from each member of his team. How to investigate, how to anticipate, how to think on his feet, to be observant, how to think outside the box when necessary, he's learned more about forensics and I suppose human behavior & anatomy as far as Ducky's lessons are concerned. And how to stand up for himself. "
I lost all respect for McGee when it was revealed he used that Feminine Glow for his dry skin and his fondness for lotions.

PS DiNozzo and Ducky told me...
ui_hawks
ui_hawks
141. RE: Sean Murray - Timothy McGee : A Positive Thread !
Aug 14 2010, 7:12 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 14 2010, 7:12 PM EDT
"I lost all respect for McGee when it was revealed he used that Feminine Glow for his dry skin and his fondness for lotions.

PS DiNozzo and Ducky told me..."
Ha ha HK :D ..but when the time comes and Tim still looks young and fun...we will all wish we had that glow...nothing to exciting about fighting wrinkles
First < Previous | 6 7 8 9 10 | Next

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)