Discussion: Michael Weatherly - Anthony DiNozzo : A Positive Thread !Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 1721 - 1740 of 1955  |  Show  posts at a time
First < Previous | 86 87 88 89 90 | Next > Last
weatherlywatcher49
weatherlywatcher49
1724. RE: Michael Weatherly - Anthony DiNozzo : A Positive Thread !
Apr 19 2012, 10:14 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 19 2012, 10:14 AM EDT
"Excellent points weatherly watcher. I thinks it's telling that Tony shows his team the goofy, squishy,faux vain side of himself, while hiding the noble, heroic side. This is why I always get so frustrated by fans who say Tony is nothing more than a narcissistic clown.
I was so happy that we got to see Tony actually tell Ziva and McGee what happened with the kid, instead of them already knowing it, as with Rota and Wendy. Especially after they implied earlier that Tony had done something untoward to Jason's sister. And I loved Gibbs saying never assume. I wish they could have witnessed the talk in the elevator as well, especially since the team has spent so much time telling Tony he wasn't Gibbs in the past. I loved how he assumed a very Gibbsian approach with Jason, and I could see Tony and Gibbs having this same conversation a few years ago. Gibbs could have very easily just taken Jason into the elevator himself and had a similar conversation, but he knew without reservation that Tony was just as capable, and that perhaps Tony "needed" the talk as much as Jason did. I'm not sure I've ever been more proud of our Very Special Agent. He can count his hairs, brag about his boots or do any of the other silly things they insist on making him do, but we know what Tony is really made of. As Abby said, he's all soft and gooey on the outside but solid rock on the inside. That's our Tony."
Thank you - and I agree about the frustration as well. I feel like some fans can't appreciate the fact that Tony has so many hidden layers - so many depths. They see one thing, and that's it. But we know who our Tony is - and like you said, so does Abby (and Gibbs, Ducky and sometimes McGee). Ziva, I don't think, gets him at all and that's why I hate the Tiva thing.
Do you find this valuable?    
sueKay87
sueKay87
1725. RE: Michael Weatherly - Anthony DiNozzo : A Positive Thread !
Apr 19 2012, 10:17 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 19 2012, 10:17 AM EDT
I think Gibbs probably knew about Jason from when the initial background reports would have been done on Tony when he applied to be an agent. Knowing Gibbs, he and Tony likely never discussed it, but Gibbs would probably have let Tony know subtly that he knew what happened.

But then again, Tony's always been more open with Gibbs than the others. When Tony started at NCIS and was engaged to Wendy, both Abby and Ducky worked at NCIS. In season 1 Abby didn't know about Wendy, whereas Gibbs had obviously already met her. Ducky didn't know anything about Wendy either. (but seems Tony and Wendy had already split up when they first met (I think he might have been on a sabbatical or something ))

So who knows, maybe he did talk to Gibbs about it.
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
sueKay87
sueKay87
1726. RE: Michael Weatherly - Anthony DiNozzo : A Positive Thread !
Apr 19 2012, 10:24 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 19 2012, 10:24 AM EDT
"Thank you - and I agree about the frustration as well. I feel like some fans can't appreciate the fact that Tony has so many hidden layers - so many depths. They see one thing, and that's it. But we know who our Tony is - and like you said, so does Abby (and Gibbs, Ducky and sometimes McGee). Ziva, I don't think, gets him at all and that's why I hate the Tiva thing."
Hear hear!

Friends...that's all Tony and Ziva should be.

She really doesn't understand him.

On the otherhand, he understands her perfectly.
2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
patriciaenola
patriciaenola
1727. RE: Michael Weatherly - Anthony DiNozzo : A Positive Thread !
Apr 19 2012, 10:33 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 19 2012, 10:33 AM EDT
"Hear hear!

On the otherhand, he understands her perfectly."
I can swee I have some reading ahead of me - these last posts make me want to read the rest - a readathon ??
I love this thread
le_bibliothecaire
le_bibliothecaire
1728. RE: Michael Weatherly - Anthony DiNozzo : A Positive Thread !
Apr 19 2012, 10:57 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 19 2012, 10:57 AM EDT
"Excellent points weatherly watcher. I thinks it's telling that Tony shows his team the goofy, squishy,faux vain side of himself, while hiding the noble, heroic side. This is why I always get so frustrated by fans who say Tony is nothing more than a narcissistic clown.
I was so happy that we got to see Tony actually tell Ziva and McGee what happened with the kid, instead of them already knowing it, as with Rota and Wendy. Especially after they implied earlier that Tony had done something untoward to Jason's sister. And I loved Gibbs saying never assume. I wish they could have witnessed the talk in the elevator as well, especially since the team has spent so much time telling Tony he wasn't Gibbs in the past. I loved how he assumed a very Gibbsian approach with Jason, and I could see Tony and Gibbs having this same conversation a few years ago. Gibbs could have very easily just taken Jason into the elevator himself and had a similar conversation, but he knew without reservation that Tony was just as capable, and that perhaps Tony "needed" the talk as much as Jason did. I'm not sure I've ever been more proud of our Very Special Agent. He can count his hairs, brag about his boots or do any of the other silly things they insist on making him do, but we know what Tony is really made of. As Abby said, he's all soft and gooey on the outside but solid rock on the inside. That's our Tony."
Well said. What gets me is that, even though we see evidence of the noble, heroic, incredibly competent side of Tony, people still choose to see only the "clown".
2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
patriciaenola
patriciaenola
1729. RE: Michael Weatherly - Anthony DiNozzo : A Positive Thread !
Apr 19 2012, 12:35 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 19 2012, 12:35 PM EDT
"Well said. What gets me is that, even though we see evidence of the noble, heroic, incredibly competent side of Tony, people still choose to see only the "clown". "
Does the noble and heroic side of Tony - make people see their own lack of what he has "in spades" people can patronise a class clown - trust me I know - I was one. A class clown can make others feel superior within themselves and the "clown" gets a false impression of being liked for that reason - people just gravitate to him because he is a non-threatening figure - well something on those lines - then he / she grows out of the image - and people are no longer at ease - some of 'em - well that's life innit ??
rosecake
rosecake
1730. RE: Michael Weatherly - Anthony DiNozzo : A Positive Thread !
Apr 19 2012, 3:06 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 19 2012, 3:06 PM EDT
"Hear hear!

On the otherhand, he understands her perfectly."
Actually, Tony and Ziva shouldn't be friends and colleagues too.
First friends understand and respect each other and never dimish the other one, and Miss David has many problems about these three things.
Second, who would be friend with a person that did what Ziva did to Tony in Israel at the end of S6?
It's unbelievable that he forgave her after her fake apology and that he trusts her and is her friend.
Only in NCIS writers' world this can happen and just because CBS is scared of losing Tiva fans *shaking my head*
rosecake
rosecake
1731. RE: Michael Weatherly - Anthony DiNozzo : A Positive Thread !
Apr 19 2012, 3:15 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 19 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
@ WW49 1720, 1722, 1723.
Very well said and thank you. I hated the boots scene, but after what you wrote I think you're right and do not dislike that scene so much now.

Just let me add that Michael deserves a Emmy for what he did ''Rekindled'' (and many other episodes). IMO he's the most talented actor in NCIS cast.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

annie921
1732. RE: Michael Weatherly - Anthony DiNozzo : A Positive Thread !
Apr 19 2012, 3:38 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 19 2012, 3:38 PM EDT
"@ WW49 1720, 1722, 1723.
Very well said and thank you. I hated the boots scene, but after what you wrote I think you're right and do not dislike that scene so much now.

Just let me add that Michael deserves a Emmy for what he did ''Rekindled'' (and many other episodes). IMO he's the most talented actor in NCIS cast. "
I think that MW is an under rated actor because one, he's not the "leading man", two, he's funny and this has at times, been overplayed by the writers, and three, he's so darn good looking that it's easy to be unable to get past that. I thought that he was wonderfully understated and had a very authentic take on Tony in the really compelling scenes of Rekindled. I think that he is the most innately talented cast member, and in character actor on the show, especially when you consider how many demeaning moments and supporting scenes he has to play.
3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
weatherlywatcher49
weatherlywatcher49
1733. RE: Michael Weatherly - Anthony DiNozzo : A Positive Thread !
Apr 20 2012, 2:42 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 20 2012, 2:42 AM EDT
"

Just let me add that Michael deserves a Emmy for what he did ''Rekindled'' (and many other episodes). IMO he's the most talented actor in NCIS cast. "
Your welcome. As I said, I may be wrong, but it does make me enjoy the scene more, LOL.

I have also been wondering why he always ends up being the comedy relief and I think I've figured out why - he's basically, the only actor playing an agent (other than Gibbs, and who is going to tease Gibbs) who can really do the comedy well.

I remember the scene where Ziva is talking about - bald is OK, at least you're not going gray,' thing and Gibbs walked up behind her. I was glad that she FINALLY got caught doing something, but was it as funny as when it happens to Tony? No. Why? Because Michael can play it up better. Same thing with McGee - he has his moments, such as the "Barry Smiles," moment, but all in all, Michael is so talented at it, that they write it for him, about him, anywhere around him, well you get the point.

It reminds me of something that Lucille Ball once said during a flashback episode of "Three's Company," that she hosted a long time ago - telling my age here. She was talking about John Ritter, who played Jack Tripper - how she admired his talents because he could play straight up comedy, giving out the funny line, or he could do visual comedy - the falling over couches, chairs, etc. and make it look real. She said something about it being harder to play the "clown" than to play the straight man - and I believe that.

I also agree that Michael deserves an Emmy for his work - he's the most talented member of the cast (other than Mark or David, and they're equals to me) - because they can go from drama to comedy and never miss a beat.

froggg
1734. RE: Michael Weatherly - Anthony DiNozzo : A Positive Thread !
Apr 20 2012, 3:13 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 20 2012, 3:13 AM EDT
". She said something about it being harder to play the "clown" than to play the straight man - and I believe that.
"
I've also heard people say that playing comedy is far harder than 'straight' acting
rosecake
rosecake
1735. RE: Michael Weatherly - Anthony DiNozzo : A Positive Thread !
Apr 20 2012, 6:59 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 20 2012, 6:59 AM EDT
"I've also heard people say that playing comedy is far harder than 'straight' acting"
You're both right. All actors say that it's harder to make people smile (without looking stupid) than make them cry.
Michael does both things perfectly so he's perfetc!

Just read this Michael's last night twitt:
FYI: working nights right now on the EXPLOSIVE season finale of NCIS! And my daughter is 9 days old. So I don't sleep.

LOL Poor guy! LOL
le_bibliothecaire
le_bibliothecaire
1736. RE: Michael Weatherly - Anthony DiNozzo : A Positive Thread !
Apr 20 2012, 7:07 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 20 2012, 7:07 AM EDT
"You're both right. All actors say that it's harder to make people smile (without looking stupid) than make them cry.
Michael does both things perfectly so he's perfetc!

Just read this Michael's last night twitt:
FYI: working nights right now on the EXPLOSIVE season finale of NCIS! And my daughter is 9 days old. So I don't sleep.

LOL Poor guy! LOL"
Ah, but what I great reason to not be getting sleep :)

annie921
1737. RE: Michael Weatherly - Anthony DiNozzo : A Positive Thread !
Apr 20 2012, 7:17 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 20 2012, 7:17 AM EDT
I know it may be too much to hope for, but I really hope that Tony has some real action and drama in the SF arc still to come. Since JLC and the Monique character are coming back, I fear that any real focus on Tony may be over for the season, since Gibbs and Ziva's relationships, connections, and dangers are likely to take the front seat, not to mention Jimmy's wedding (which I don't mind because it's likely to be fun, and something different). Just hope that the drama and danger moments in the SF are not exclusively focused on guest stars and Ziva and Gibbs. Fingers crossed that Tony gets to figure in as more than just supporting cast in the "explosive" SF. Do you find this valuable?    
tonysmel
tonysmel
1738. RE: Michael Weatherly - Anthony DiNozzo : A Positive Thread !
Apr 20 2012, 9:03 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 20 2012, 9:03 AM EDT
I agree with you weatherlywatcher. I remember Michael saying in an interview, when someone asked him what was the best compliment as an actor he had gotten, and he said that one of the scripts that DPB had written, there was a scene where Bellasario wrote,"And Michael will think of something to say here that will be much funnier than I can write." They know he will come through with the goods, whether it be comedic or dramatic. Even Chris Willman once wrote that it was very unusual to find someone who was as good looking as Michael who was also that adept as comedy.
The problem comes when the writers get lazy, and just start writing the characters as one note: clown, ninja,geek,super hero mute,etc. Hopefully an ep like Rekindled will remind some fans that MW is just as good at the dramatic, emotional scenes as he is the humorous ones.

IMO, another problem is that somewhere along the way the writers forgot how to write good, humorous banter, and replaced it with snarky, cutting insults. I used to love the banter and dynamic with Tony/Ziva/McGee in S3, and parts of S4, but the barbs that the writers now try to pass as "funny" are just annoying and almost always at Tony's expense. Sad.
le_bibliothecaire
le_bibliothecaire
1739. RE: Michael Weatherly - Anthony DiNozzo : A Positive Thread !
Apr 20 2012, 10:37 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 20 2012, 10:37 AM EDT
"I agree with you weatherlywatcher. I remember Michael saying in an interview, when someone asked him what was the best compliment as an actor he had gotten, and he said that one of the scripts that DPB had written, there was a scene where Bellasario wrote,"And Michael will think of something to say here that will be much funnier than I can write." They know he will come through with the goods, whether it be comedic or dramatic. Even Chris Willman once wrote that it was very unusual to find someone who was as good looking as Michael who was also that adept as comedy.
The problem comes when the writers get lazy, and just start writing the characters as one note: clown, ninja,geek,super hero mute,etc. Hopefully an ep like Rekindled will remind some fans that MW is just as good at the dramatic, emotional scenes as he is the humorous ones.

IMO, another problem is that somewhere along the way the writers forgot how to write good, humorous banter, and replaced it with snarky, cutting insults. I used to love the banter and dynamic with Tony/Ziva/McGee in S3, and parts of S4, but the barbs that the writers now try to pass as "funny" are just annoying and almost always at Tony's expense. Sad."
Well-put, thank you! I don't want an always-serious Tony, either; I want him to retain his wit and sense of humor. But I wish they'd find (or re-find, since Tony was written well before) a balance instead of going for the cheap laugh.

ncisnewgirl
1740. RE: Michael Weatherly - Anthony DiNozzo : A Positive Thread !
Apr 21 2012, 8:31 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 21 2012, 8:31 AM EDT
"since, I have come to enjoy the episode more than when I first watched it.

The boot thing? I like to think of it like this - which may be how they (the writers and Michael) interpreted it or not - just my opinion - is that once again, Tony was not being incompetent or stupid, but rather dealing with awkwardness or upset of a situation.

Everyone noticed how he seemed to dress up more and more into the episode as he and Jason had their conversations. We all know that Tony uses clothes as an armor. To me, the boots were that as well. I can't remember the team ever having to investigate a fire, or arson. Explosions and the aftermath, yes. And Tony did break into Renny Grant's place in "Bounce" when there was smoke coming out, but that's it. Maybe I've forgotten one? Anyway, I feel that Tony going to a scene of a fire - in Baltimore, no less - had him very uncomfortable. We all know that 'the kid he almost lost in Baltimore,' has been brought up several times, each time he has been upset, and now we know why. Even though he managed to save Jason, and he told Gibbs that he knew he made the right choice, we all know Tony has problems with putting guilt upon himself.

So whether or not they intended it this way, I feel that Tony wearing those boots were a distraction somewhat. Tony is usually the first out to help Gibbs, yet he was the last one out, wearing his sunglasses and boots, and talking about being a Playboy. Distraction. And it worked with Ziva and McGee. But not with Gibbs. I prefer to think that Gibbs knew what Tony was thinking (as usual) and played along by being gruff with him - something he does when he feels Tony is upset.

"
I love your idea about the boots and I beleive you have to be right!!!1 Now, I need to watch the show again! Plus, this show is coming right after the Dead Weight show, so Tony is probably still feeling hurt.
sueKay87
sueKay87
1741. RE: Michael Weatherly - Anthony DiNozzo : A Positive Thread !
Apr 22 2012, 5:33 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 22 2012, 5:33 AM EDT
"Actually, Tony and Ziva shouldn't be friends and colleagues too.
First friends understand and respect each other and never dimish the other one, and Miss David has many problems about these three things.
Second, who would be friend with a person that did what Ziva did to Tony in Israel at the end of S6?
It's unbelievable that he forgave her after her fake apology and that he trusts her and is her friend.
Only in NCIS writers' world this can happen and just because CBS is scared of losing Tiva fans *shaking my head*"
I don't think Tony's forgiven her...I think he's given that impression because he'd do anything for an easy life. He knows exactly who she is, and I do believe he is attracted to her, but because he knows what she's capable of, that's why he's never made a move, and I hope he never will.
sueKay87
sueKay87
1742. RE: Michael Weatherly - Anthony DiNozzo : A Positive Thread !
Apr 22 2012, 5:36 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 22 2012, 5:36 AM EDT
I actually think Tony has been written a darn sight better this season, however his coworkers (read: Ziva's) reactions and comments have still been bad.

But Tony himself is getting back to the wonderful, rich character we know he is :)
rosecake
rosecake
1743. RE: Michael Weatherly - Anthony DiNozzo : A Positive Thread !
Apr 22 2012, 6:50 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 22 2012, 6:50 AM EDT
"I don't think Tony's forgiven her...I think he's given that impression because he'd do anything for an easy life. He knows exactly who she is, and I do believe he is attracted to her, but because he knows what she's capable of, that's why he's never made a move, and I hope he never will."
I agree that Tony didn't really forgive Ziva and that he just suck it up and moved on because Gibbs took her back on the team.

I don't think Tony's attracted to her. Maybe when she arrived he felt some attraction because she's a god looking woman, but after he fell in love with Jeanne and mostly after the end of S6, any sign of physical attraction (and just that) completely died.

Tony's to smart to even like a woman like Ziva.
First < Previous | 86 87 88 89 90 | Next > Last

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)