Discussion: Michael Weatherly - Anthony DiNozzo : A Positive Thread !Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 1701 - 1720 of 1974  |  Show  posts at a time
First < Previous | 86 87 88 89 90 | Next > Last

zaba05
1704. RE: Michael Weatherly - Anthony DiNozzo : A Positive Thread !
Apr 17 2012, 3:44 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 17 2012, 3:57 PM EDT
"Sorry bellwebster but there was an interview I can't remember which one, I'll need to find it. In it Michael did say he wasn't happy with the way his character was being written. I'm sure it was last year during season 8 or just after Season 7 I think. Don't quote me on it, I'll find the interview but I'm pretty sure it was mentioned. "
This one?

http://www.tvguide.com/News/NCIS-Exclusive-Tony-1032301.aspx

I remember another one where Michael said that Tony is the seventh smartest person on the show, right after Jimmy Palmer.

Do you find this valuable?    
rosecake
rosecake
1705. RE: Michael Weatherly - Anthony DiNozzo : A Positive Thread !
Apr 17 2012, 3:52 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 17 2012, 3:57 PM EDT
"Sorry to interrupt...but as Michael is playing a character, its most likely the 'character looks' he does, which are meant to go with the scenes. I haven't read anywhere, or even read a hint that Michael is upset with his character traits. He is a marvellous actor, turing on the charm, the sarcasm, the professional, the silly looks at the drop of a hat. To me, if he looks sad or hurt its his character reaction, not his personal feelings. If he were that unhappy with his role he would move on to another acting job, or at least speak with Mark who is a producer, and to the writers. I think members tend to torcher themselves over some things that most likely isn't a problem. Thats just how I see it. Tony is not real, Michael is..and I do love both of them.. "
At the end of S8, Michael openly complained about how they write his character (and GG confirmed that, but didn't do anything to solve the problem) and, though I agree that he's an amzingly talented actor (IMO the most talented in the cast), in some scene he really looked shocked and I noticed the same dsibelief on MH's face.

As he has said many times, MH doesn't say anything about the scripts, so even if Michael had talked with him, nothing would have happened.

And forthe record, I know that Tony's a character and Michael is a real people, but this doesn't mean that he's a robot and that sometimes he can't hide his disbelief for what they give him to play.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
bellswebster
bellswebster
1706. RE: Michael Weatherly - Anthony DiNozzo : A Positive Thread !
Apr 17 2012, 4:12 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 17 2012, 4:21 PM EDT
Thanks for the link Zaba05...
"I have been more alert about: Are we going to step on Tony and put him in a position where he suddenly doesn't know how to fight very well?" When Tony got the sillies, "I've always thought, well, it'll be fine — until this year. In 2011, I'm like, no! We've got to protect him a little. But I think the writers were having the same idea."

I can see Michael wanted a change in direction of his character, and as we all have said, he was made out to be too silly. So I can understand him saying he wanted to change some things. The writers agreed, and i can see that they have begun a change in his character, which is good. But I don't see it as a total - I hate Tony Dinozzo. I just think that being the professional actor as we all know him to be, that he wouldn't let his personal feelings get in the way of a scene. If you say Mark has noticed it, then I'm sure the directors and writers would have as well. It wouldn't be brownie points for him if he was showing his distate for the script in his scenes. I would think, that thoughts of well,... if Michael feels this way about his scenes, and is deliberately showing his disgust, should he stay on in the series, would run through the producers heads. So I am still believing, that Michaels portrayal of Tony is as he sees the reactions should be to the words spoken in the script. I'm hoping so. The new female agent thats coming in, lets hope if it be true what you all think about the 'Tony's' character, then she isn't to replace him, if Michael is so upset with his character??
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
ncisno1
ncisno1
1707. RE: Michael Weatherly - Anthony DiNozzo : A Positive Thread !
Apr 17 2012, 4:16 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 17 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
"This one?

http://www.tvguide.com/News/NCIS-Exclusive-Tony-1032301.aspx

I remember another one where Michael said that Tony is the seventh smartest person on the show, right after Jimmy Palmer.

"
Thank you zaba05, yeah that's the one I was talking about :)
rosecake
rosecake
1708. RE: Michael Weatherly - Anthony DiNozzo : A Positive Thread !
Apr 17 2012, 4:32 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 17 2012, 4:32 PM EDT
"Thanks for the link Zaba05...
"I have been more alert about: Are we going to step on Tony and put him in a position where he suddenly doesn't know how to fight very well?" When Tony got the sillies, "I've always thought, well, it'll be fine — until this year. In 2011, I'm like, no! We've got to protect him a little. But I think the writers were having the same idea."

I can see Michael wanted a change in direction of his character, and as we all have said, he was made out to too silly. So I can understand him saying he wanted to change some things. The writers agreed, and i can see that they have begun a change in his character, which is good. But I don't see it as a total - I hate Tony Dinozzo. I just think that being the professional actor as we all know him to be, that he wouldn't let his personal feelings get in the way of a scene..."
Well, the first episodes showed a change, but now we need to see a stupid or a let's mocking Tony on every episode, so writers didn't completely start writing Tony in-character as Michael asked.

About the fact that sometimes they let their feeling to be seeing on the show, I guess we need to agree to disagree :)

Nobody said that Michael is going or would or wants to live the show because he doesn't like some of the things tptb give him to play. He'd be completely stupid to leave the most successful job he's ever had. A job that gives him at least $3 mill year.
We all complain about our job at least once in our life, but this doesn't mean that we quit our job.

Nobody said that the new agent is a woman. We just know that her/his name is Wallace, that we'll see her/him in S10 again but nobody said that she/he will be part of the team. Plus, if Agent Wallace will be a woman and she'll be on the show to replace a team member, she'll replace Ziva and not Tony or McGee.
1  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    
patriciaenola
patriciaenola
1709. RE: Michael Weatherly - Anthony DiNozzo : A Positive Thread !
Apr 17 2012, 8:58 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 17 2012, 8:58 PM EDT

<<And forthe record, I know that Tony's a character and Michael is a real people, but this doesn't mean that he's a robot and that sometimes he can't hide his disbelief for what they give him to play.>>

Thank you Rosecake - #1705 I think the whole post was very well put - but this extract - I particularly should remember. I regret that I saw only the negative side
bellswebster
bellswebster
1710. RE: Michael Weatherly - Anthony DiNozzo : A Positive Thread !
Apr 17 2012, 9:12 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 17 2012, 9:23 PM EDT
I still believe Michael Weatherly, being the professional actor that he is, would not show his dislike of the character scripts in his acting. That would be bad on his part and unprofessional. I don't see what being like a robot has to do with anything either. He's paid to play a role which i'm sure, he does with relish...and quoting Kate from Twilight - he enjoys acting like an x-rated Peter Pan. Scripts are pre-read at a table before they even do a scene. If there is something to say you don't like about the script then is the time to say it.
And I don't feel I am being negative. I'm sticking up for Michael's acting here, so we will just have to agree to disagree. I would have to wonder if Michael wouldn't be hurt by your idea that he plays his role with distain because he doesn't like whats being said to him in a script. 'Tony' has said many things to Ziva and McGee too, and nobody got all upset about it. This is just my opinion.
3  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    

annie921
1711. RE: Michael Weatherly - Anthony DiNozzo : A Positive Thread !
Apr 18 2012, 2:45 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 18 2012, 2:45 AM EDT
"
And I don't feel I am being negative. I'm sticking up for Michael's acting here, so we will just have to agree to disagree. I would have to wonder if Michael wouldn't be hurt by your idea that he plays his role with distain because he doesn't like whats being said to him in a script. 'Tony' has said many things to Ziva and McGee too, and nobody got all upset about it. This is just my opinion."
But to me, often when Tony says something intrusive or tacky to McGee or Ziva, it reflects more poorly on Tony than McGee or Ziva. Just seems to me that the writers go out of their way to always make Tony look stupid or inappropriate or somehow inferior to everyone else. As a MW/Tony fan, I'm sick of it. I miss the DPB days, when the character was a necessary, integral part of each case because of his unique perspectives and talents, rather than because the formula required the comic moment. (always at Tony's expense). And IMO his interpretations of some of the past "tiva" moments, have shown me that he really doesn't want Tony to go there. While Ziva will be coy and turn on her alluring mugs, MW's take on it often seems a bit standoffish or even a trifle testy.
2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
patriciaenola
patriciaenola
1712. RE: Michael Weatherly - Anthony DiNozzo : A Positive Thread !
Apr 18 2012, 3:31 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 18 2012, 3:31 AM EDT
"<<'Tony' has said many things to Ziva and McGee too, and nobody got all upset about it. This is just my opinion>>."
I wonder since Humour - especially the "Tony" brand - is infectious - should Ziva catch some - Ziva's character is entirely too formal - which considering her origin - Her father moreover - director of Mossad and responsible for Ziva's training - she is very alert to see what is bad - and Tony could help, she could be an x-rated Wendy - to Tony's Peter Pan - "I'm Tony - fly with me!!!"
le_bibliothecaire
le_bibliothecaire
1713. RE: Michael Weatherly - Anthony DiNozzo : A Positive Thread !
Apr 18 2012, 5:05 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 18 2012, 5:05 AM EDT
I think we can all agree that Michael is an amazing actor, else we wouldn't be here. But I don't feel that means I'm not allowed to be upset when 1/2 hour of what is supposed to an Tony-centric episode is spent on a story thread that consists of nothing but the team standing around mocking him. There used to be a balance and there used to be banter, but that seems to be gone for the most part. That's what's disappointing to me. As far as Michael is concerned. He is very professional and very skilled. He's an amazing actor; if he wasn't, I would have already stopped watching the show. 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
ncisno1
ncisno1
1714. RE: Michael Weatherly - Anthony DiNozzo : A Positive Thread !
Apr 18 2012, 6:05 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 18 2012, 6:09 AM EDT
I agree Michael is an amazing actor. I also agree that a lot of the time they mock him but comparing this season to 7 and the beginning of 8 especially, I would have to say I don't feel there is as much mocking as before there is still some though. I think GG is trying to remove Tony from being the brunt of everyones jokes.

After watching last nights episode, I would have liked more Tony since it was a Tony centric episode but because they beginning the arc then I felt it was quite balanced. There was some mocking last night but as an episode as a whole I felt it was amazing compared to some of the other episodes this season. There was also a lot more McGee scenes and Abby scenes which was good.

Michael was fantastic in the flashback scenes, very emotional.
There was so much eye contact between Gibbs and Tony and I've missed that. They say so much when they do that without saying many words, I really love that.
I loved the elevator scene between Tony and Jason, It was another very emotional scene and a mature, competent Tony that we have missed.

I need to watch it again but I felt there was a lot of things hidden in that episode for example near the beginning when Ziva's asking about Jason, Tony says he's not my friend, I've met him once... McGee says I assume it has something to do with that Girl and Gibbs says don't assume. Later on McGee didn't seem to know about Jason's sister so I think there's something else missing there that is going to be brought up. This could be about the Girl on Tony's computer screen she doesn't look 4 so I'm thinking it's a different kid from Jason's sister.
le_bibliothecaire
le_bibliothecaire
1715. RE: Michael Weatherly - Anthony DiNozzo : A Positive Thread !
Apr 18 2012, 6:59 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 18 2012, 6:59 AM EDT
" Later on McGee didn't seem to know about Jason's sister so I think there's something else missing there that is going to be brought up. This could be about the Girl on Tony's computer screen she doesn't look 4 so I'm thinking it's a different kid from Jason's sister."
The little girl on the Christmas card on Tony's computer is a child who visited the set through the Make-A-Wish-Foundation. NCIS apparently gets quite a few young people who choose an NCIS set visit as their wish, and I read a lot of reports from the visitors that the NCIS cast and crew go all out to make it an incredible visit. Not sure if they're going to write a story around the presence of the card on Tony's desk, but the little girl gave MW the card and he put it on "Tony's" desk so she could see it there when she watched the show. PP also has drawings on the walls in "Abby's" lab from some of the Make-A-Wish visitors.
ncisno1
ncisno1
1716. RE: Michael Weatherly - Anthony DiNozzo : A Positive Thread !
Apr 18 2012, 7:10 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 18 2012, 7:10 AM EDT
"The little girl on the Christmas card on Tony's computer is a child who visited the set through the Make-A-Wish-Foundation. NCIS apparently gets quite a few young people who choose an NCIS set visit as their wish, and I read a lot of reports from the visitors that the NCIS cast and crew go all out to make it an incredible visit. Not sure if they're going to write a story around the presence of the card on Tony's desk, but the little girl gave MW the card and he put it on "Tony's" desk so she could see it there when she watched the show. PP also has drawings on the walls in "Abby's" lab from some of the Make-A-Wish visitors."
Aww okay thanks I didn't know that :)
le_bibliothecaire
le_bibliothecaire
1717. RE: Michael Weatherly - Anthony DiNozzo : A Positive Thread !
Apr 18 2012, 7:22 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 18 2012, 7:23 AM EDT
"Aww okay thanks I didn't know that :)"
You're welcome :) I was looking on the Make-A-Wish website and saw the little girl's photo, thought she looked familiar, then clicked on her story they had published there and it said she had visited the set. There was a report of her visit and pics with various cast members. Then a few weeks later, someone on Twitter asked MW about the pic and he said it was a gift from a visitor. It's nice to know that everyone--network, cast and crew, producers, etc. go all out for the young people who choose to visit as their wish :)
rosecake
rosecake
1718. RE: Michael Weatherly - Anthony DiNozzo : A Positive Thread !
Apr 18 2012, 7:45 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 18 2012, 7:45 AM EDT
"I still believe Michael Weatherly, being the professional actor that he is, would not show his dislike of the character scripts in his acting. That would be bad on his part and unprofessional. I don't see what being like a robot has to do with anything either. He's paid to play a role which i'm sure, he does with relish...and quoting Kate from Twilight - he enjoys acting like an x-rated Peter Pan. Scripts are pre-read at a table before they even do a scene. If there is something to say you don't like about the script then is the time to..."
I don't think Michael would be wounded by my words because I'm defending him and his amazing talent (as Rekindled showed again).

Maybe I didn't explain well what I meant. Let's see if I can now.
Michael is a serious prefessional actor and he has got to say what writers give him to play but, as he said when he complained about how they wrote his character (and write since not so much changed), sometimes he feels that his lines are not right for Tony. A sort of ''Tony would never say or do this''. So Michael let his Tony's thoughts and feelings show on the show.
For example. It's well-know that he doesn't like Tiva and he even called it 'a disaster for the show'. Michael thinks that romance between two characters in a drama or crime show is not possible and it wuould ruin the show. Plus he thinks that Tony wouldn't fall in love with Ziva. So, every time there's a Tiva moment, he doesn't play this scene as a romantic scene, but just as a scene between two colleagues or friends, while CdP (that still believes in Tiva) plays the same moment as a romantic scene.

This doesn't mean that MW is not professional. It just means that he shows on the screen what *he* thinks is right for his character against what writers write. So in the end he lets his thoughts/feelings appear on the show in a certain way.
ncisno1
ncisno1
1719. RE: Michael Weatherly - Anthony DiNozzo : A Positive Thread !
Apr 18 2012, 7:46 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 18 2012, 7:46 AM EDT
"You're welcome :) I was looking on the Make-A-Wish website and saw the little girl's photo, thought she looked familiar, then clicked on her story they had published there and it said she had visited the set. There was a report of her visit and pics with various cast members. Then a few weeks later, someone on Twitter asked MW about the pic and he said it was a gift from a visitor. It's nice to know that everyone--network, cast and crew, producers, etc. go all out for the young people who choose to visit as their wish :)"
It is really nice of them, they all do so much for others - really kind, a great group people :)
weatherlywatcher49
weatherlywatcher49
1720. RE: Michael Weatherly - Anthony DiNozzo : A Positive Thread !
Apr 19 2012, 8:16 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 19 2012, 8:16 AM EDT
OK - due to R/L issues, I'm just weighing in here.

I have to say that while I HATE idiot Tony scenes, I really didn't feel that this was one. After seeing the entire episode, and having watched it many times since, I have come to enjoy the episode more than when I first watched it.

The boot thing? I like to think of it like this - which may be how they (the writers and Michael) interpreted it or not - just my opinion - is that once again, Tony was not being incompetent or stupid, but rather dealing with awkwardness or upset of a situation.

Everyone noticed how he seemed to dress up more and more into the episode as he and Jason had their conversations. We all know that Tony uses clothes as an armor. To me, the boots were that as well. I can't remember the team ever having to investigate a fire, or arson. Explosions and the aftermath, yes. And Tony did break into Renny Grant's place in "Bounce" when there was smoke coming out, but that's it. Maybe I've forgotten one? Anyway, I feel that Tony going to a scene of a fire - in Baltimore, no less - had him very uncomfortable. We all know that 'the kid he almost lost in Baltimore,' has been brought up several times, each time he has been upset, and now we know why. Even though he managed to save Jason, and he told Gibbs that he knew he made the right choice, we all know Tony has problems with putting guilt upon himself.

So whether or not they intended it this way, I feel that Tony wearing those boots were a distraction somewhat. Tony is usually the first out to help Gibbs, yet he was the last one out, wearing his sunglasses and boots, and talking about being a Playboy. Distraction. And it worked with Ziva and McGee. But not with Gibbs. I prefer to think that Gibbs knew what Tony was thinking (as usual) and played along by being gruff with him - something he does when he feels Tony is upset.

0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
tonysmel
tonysmel
1721. RE: Michael Weatherly - Anthony DiNozzo : A Positive Thread !
Apr 19 2012, 9:58 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 19 2012, 9:58 AM EDT
Excellent points weatherly watcher. I thinks it's telling that Tony shows his team the goofy, squishy,faux vain side of himself, while hiding the noble, heroic side. This is why I always get so frustrated by fans who say Tony is nothing more than a narcissistic clown.
I was so happy that we got to see Tony actually tell Ziva and McGee what happened with the kid, instead of them already knowing it, as with Rota and Wendy. Especially after they implied earlier that Tony had done something untoward to Jason's sister. And I loved Gibbs saying never assume. I wish they could have witnessed the talk in the elevator as well, especially since the team has spent so much time telling Tony he wasn't Gibbs in the past. I loved how he assumed a very Gibbsian approach with Jason, and I could see Tony and Gibbs having this same conversation a few years ago. Gibbs could have very easily just taken Jason into the elevator himself and had a similar conversation, but he knew without reservation that Tony was just as capable, and that perhaps Tony "needed" the talk as much as Jason did. I'm not sure I've ever been more proud of our Very Special Agent. He can count his hairs, brag about his boots or do any of the other silly things they insist on making him do, but we know what Tony is really made of. As Abby said, he's all soft and gooey on the outside but solid rock on the inside. That's our Tony.
weatherlywatcher49
weatherlywatcher49
1722. RE: Michael Weatherly - Anthony DiNozzo : A Positive Thread !
Apr 19 2012, 9:59 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 19 2012, 9:59 AM EDT
cont.

We all know that Tony does not do, 'Nice Gibbs,' in the workplace - at Gibbs' house when they're alone together, yeah, but not in front of the team. And I believe Gibbs was kinda helping Tony not think about the little girl he did lose. I actually thought the "Here's what we're here for, Heffy,' was cute and kinda endorsed my thinking - Gibbs getting Tony to focus. I believe that Tony had told Gibbs about this happening, because I don't believe that it would have been on his record, or that Gibbs would have dug that far. After all, he was very impressed with Tony very quickly so why would he? So I assume Tony told him about Jason over steak and beer one night. I remember the same thing happened in SbySW - in Bounce, Tony told Ducky that he would never go back to Arizona - something must have bothered him about that place, and then the next episode - going with Gibbs to Arizona. And what did he do? Wore the fancy boots and made the sheriff notice.

I definitely believe that Gibbs knew from the very start - his reaction to Jason's name and the way he kept looking between Tony and Jason spoke volumes to me. And when they got back to the squad room and that look between Tony and Gibbs - these two are amazing when on screen together. I think the writers tend to forget that a lot - something I wish they would not do, because in my opinion, these scenes are the best part of NCIS. It showcases how amazing they are as actors, and the the friendship that is there between the two of them, both on and off camera.

This again, also showcased how very little needs to be said between the two of them in order to know that these characters care about one another. The glances, the expressions, the few words spoken, 'You helped. Others didn't.' 'I know.' 'Good, get outta here.' Simple, no grand words needed to be spoken..

t
weatherlywatcher49
weatherlywatcher49
1723. RE: Michael Weatherly - Anthony DiNozzo : A Positive Thread !
Apr 19 2012, 10:08 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 19 2012, 10:08 AM EDT
cont.

As for Ziva and McGee - McGee did not bother me. He didn't say it in a smug, or better than thou attitude as in previous seasons - I think SM has finally got the 'do the zing/teasing thing to someone else without making it look like you're mean or superior,' down. And I could tell by his expression when Tony was talking in the squad room, and when he told them the story, and even before he knew what was going on and went to stand next to Tony when Jason was giving him a hard time at the site (before and during the first phoof or whatever) that he really cared.

Ziva, on the other hand. hmm. I have thought about this and it's not because I dislike the character that I hated how she acted in this episode and the one before it (and several others). I had begun to actually try to like Ziva again at the first of season 9, but then it faltered again. And I don't think it's totally the writers fault. I think it's the way Cote chooses to deliver the lines, JMO.

I watched this episode and heard the lines as Sasha, or Kate, would have delivered them, and I would have probably smiled if it had been her. Why? Because she would always add that little smirky smile or gesture that would remind me of two siblings arguing or messing with one another. The way that Cote delivers the lines, to me, makes her sound like she's looking down on him - or feeling superior.

I feel that's what rubs me the wrong way - and I wish that Cote would go back to delivering her lines as she did at the first of the season, maybe it would go better. I'm not saying that it's always her fault I don't like the character - the writers didn't mess around with Ziva in the past and sometimes still do, but I think this season, it's been more about her perception of what Ziva's attitude is supposed to be like when reading the lines that has ticked me off or made me not enjoy a scene.
1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
First < Previous | 86 87 88 89 90 | Next > Last

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)