My blog entry for today:

http://cbsncis.wetpaint.com/page/NCIS+MODERATORS%27+BLOG+75

Any feedback/discussion would be great.
Do you find this valuable?    
HardKore71
HardKore71
1. RE: Killing Of Off Characters
Feb 6 2010, 1:21 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 6 2010, 1:21 PM EST
I think that killing off characters adds more realism to the show, so I'm all for it. Even though I wish Kate hadn't been killed off; it just made the dramatic impact of Twilight and the beginning of Season 3 Kill Ari 1&2 that much more powerful. Another good example is Michelle Lee, I did not expect her to be killed off in Dagger, and although the reasons why she turned rogue annoyed me to no end; her death was shocking and made her a tragic figure in most viewers' eyes. Paula Cassidy was a really good character, and the show probably would have gotten a lot more mileage out of her in future stories; but again her death in the line of duty just adds to the degree of realism that makes NCIS so good. Just my 2 cents. 2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
emerellda
emerellda
2. RE: Killing Of Off Characters
Feb 6 2010, 1:32 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 6 2010, 1:32 PM EST
IMO, killing jenny, was not nessary as such, but nessary, as hard kore said, for realism, and the dramtic impact, as with, I think paula cassidy, although she was an excellent character, her death did serve a really important purpose and helped to develo0p the story arc, while making for a truely excellent episode, which was far more effectly achieved with her death than her still being alive, some vilans like lee, were killed off, because it was the best way, and some, like thegang members, were killed off because they couldn't be proved guilty, so this was too the best way, all in all, I think NCIS handles deaths of characters really well 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Mesha82
3. RE: Killing Of Off Characters
Feb 6 2010, 2:23 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 6 2010, 2:23 PM EST
I understand the realism of characters getting killed off but I don't think it is realism when it is always a female the one who gets killed off. Knowing that Sasha Alexander wanted to leave the show and not comeback I understand that but for the others we don't know if any of the other female characters who were killed wanted to leave and not comeback. I don't want anybody killed off but I do dislike how it is always a female who is killed off. I like the females on Team Gibbs now and I don't want to see any of them replaced. 2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
HardKore71
HardKore71
4. RE: Killing Of Off Characters
Feb 6 2010, 2:31 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 6 2010, 2:31 PM EST
"I understand the realism of characters getting killed off but I don't think it is realism when it is always a female the one who gets killed off. Knowing that Sasha Alexander wanted to leave the show and not comeback I understand that but for the others we don't know if any of the other female characters who were killed wanted to leave and not comeback. I don't want anybody killed off but I do dislike how it is always a female who is killed off. I like the females on Team Gibbs now and I don't want to see any of them replaced. "
That's because the female characters are expendable! No I'm j/k of course, I think it was just coincedence myself, other people besides your'self Mesha have made that point too.
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

bellswebster
5. RE: Killing Of Off Characters
Feb 6 2010, 2:36 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 6 2010, 2:36 PM EST
Well..which male should have have been killed off and for what reason?...none of them want to leave...the storylines havn't put them in any position to have been required. I know Paula Cassidy was one that needn't of gone..not sure about Jenny. Most of the victims on ncis are male. And as HK said, certain deaths have added to the realism of the show. 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
HardKore71
HardKore71
6. RE: Killing Of Off Characters
Feb 6 2010, 2:54 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 6 2010, 2:54 PM EST
"Well..which male should have have been killed off and for what reason?...none of them want to leave...the storylines havn't put them in any position to have been required. I know Paula Cassidy was one that needn't of gone..not sure about Jenny. Most of the victims on ncis are male. And as HK said, certain deaths have added to the realism of the show. "
Sasha wanted to leave, but Lauren Holly didn't she was essentially written off the show. I don't think Liza Lapira minded as she was looking for parts on the big screen. But don't jinx them Bells, I don't want to see any of the boys get killed off.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
emerellda
emerellda
7. RE: Killing Of Off Characters
Feb 6 2010, 3:21 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 6 2010, 3:21 PM EST
yes well, if we look at it from a dramtical perpestive, the girls characters have different roles, and there deaths can trigger different responces from the audience, then the death of boys, but I don't want any boys to get killed off either, i like all the characters too much 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

bellswebster
8. RE: Killing Of Off Characters
Feb 6 2010, 3:24 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 6 2010, 3:24 PM EST
Me neither...I don't think it will happen for quite awhile...years anyway...I hope, if it happens at all.

Mesha82
9. RE: Killing Of Off Characters
Feb 6 2010, 7:07 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 6 2010, 7:07 PM EST
I am not saying I want any of the males killed off. I am just saying I don't like how it is always a female getting killed off. In all honesty I don't want anybody killed off. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
MargyW
MargyW
10. RE: Killing Of Off Characters
Feb 6 2010, 8:17 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 6 2010, 8:17 PM EST
"I am not saying I want any of the males killed off. I am just saying I don't like how it is always a female getting killed off. In all honesty I don't want anybody killed off. "
Not always. Chris Pacci was killed off, as was Brent Langer. As was FBI Special Agent Charles.
HardKore71
HardKore71
11. RE: Killing Of Off Characters
Feb 6 2010, 8:30 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 6 2010, 8:30 PM EST
"I am not saying I want any of the males killed off. I am just saying I don't like how it is always a female getting killed off. In all honesty I don't want anybody killed off. "
I know what you meant Mesha, Margy who was special agent charles? Sucks about Langer, I thought he was kinda kool.
emerellda
emerellda
12. RE: Killing Of Off Characters
Feb 6 2010, 9:14 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 6 2010, 9:14 PM EST
was charles the FBI agent in season 2, who was the mafia contact in the FBI, in the episode where fornell was framed? thats the only charles I can think of, and if we think about it, there is a majority of boys dying over girls, think about the victims, the crimals who are killed, i'd be willing, based purely on numbers to bet its about 1:4 girl to boy dying ratio, although that said major characters/episodes the characters have appeared in it would most likely be reveresed Do you find this valuable?    
MargyW
MargyW
13. RE: Killing Of Off Characters
Feb 6 2010, 9:16 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 6 2010, 9:16 PM EST
"I know what you meant Mesha, Margy who was special agent charles? Sucks about Langer, I thought he was kinda kool."
Charles was in about 2 episodes. He was in "Enigma" in season 1. Gets the line" Charles: You're under arrest. Gibbs: What for. Charles: Pissing of the FBI. Gibbs: Get used to it.

He reappeared in The Bone Yard in season 2. He was the mole inside the Mafia. Got shot by the Mafia.
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Mesha82
14. RE: Killing Of Off Characters
Feb 6 2010, 9:31 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 6 2010, 9:37 PM EST
"was charles the FBI agent in season 2, who was the mafia contact in the FBI, in the episode where fornell was framed? thats the only charles I can think of, and if we think about it, there is a majority of boys dying over girls, think about the victims, the crimals who are killed, i'd be willing, based purely on numbers to bet its about 1:4 girl to boy dying ratio, although that said major characters/episodes the characters have appeared in it would most likely be reveresed"
If you think about it from that point I see your point. I am talking about the main and recurring characters on the show. More females have died then Males. I don't want any more of the main characters killed off. I think a show could still be realistic without character being killed off. Look at CSI They did not kill anybody off until after 10 yrs and that is only because the person who played the character had problems with their contract decided not to comeback. I think if the show has good writing and continues to be interesting I think a show will continue to be interesting to viewers.
VivaLaTiva
VivaLaTiva
15. RE: Killing Of Off Characters
Feb 6 2010, 9:50 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 6 2010, 9:50 PM EST
Noooooooooooo. They can't kill anyone off!!! But if they do who do you think will get the boot??? Do you find this valuable?    
HardKore71
HardKore71
16. RE: Killing Of Off Characters
Feb 6 2010, 9:55 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 6 2010, 9:55 PM EST
"Charles was in about 2 episodes. He was in "Enigma" in season 1. Gets the line" Charles: You're under arrest. Gibbs: What for. Charles: Pissing of the FBI. Gibbs: Get used to it.

He reappeared in The Bone Yard in season 2. He was the mole inside the Mafia. Got shot by the Mafia."
Thanks again Margy, back home from the pub and my powers of recall are a bit fuzzy this moment. Uuumm Charles was a dirtbag so he got what was coming to him, so I'm not gonna shed any tears for his demise. I don't think the writers are delibritley killing off the female characters, at least I hope not
HardKore71
HardKore71
17. RE: Killing Of Off Characters
Feb 6 2010, 10:03 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 6 2010, 10:03 PM EST
"Noooooooooooo. They can't kill anyone off!!! But if they do who do you think will get the boot???"
lol, No one is getting killed off at least not that we know of. We're just talking about characters who have dies and how it's impacted the show for good or bad, that's all. So don't fret Viva

loyalfan
18. RE: Killing Of Off Characters
Feb 7 2010, 5:27 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 7 2010, 5:27 AM EST
"That's because the female characters are expendable! No I'm j/k of course, I think it was just coincedence myself, other people besides your'self Mesha have made that point too. "
Hi HardKore 71,
I could not resist commenting on this one. I find it hard to see the killing off of the female characters as coincidence. I find the circumstances of their deaths even more disturbing. With the exception of Kate, each of the women was seen as having failed in her duty in some way and died as a result. Paula felt responsible for the death of her team and threw herself on the terrorist before anyone else was killed. Michelle Lee was a mole, who would have spent her life in prison if she had survived. Jenny died protecting Gibbs from an assassin she failed to kill in Paris. I think this implies a woman in this type of position is likely to make a fatal error in judgment.
On the other hand, Tony helped put an innocent man in prison but he was given an opportunity to set things right. McGee hesitated to shoot the drug dealing cop who had shot his own partner. Gibbs managed to intervene and all ended well.
I recall an interview in which Don Bellisario talked about wanting to bring more women into the show. I think it was at the time he brought in Ziva, as a smart agent and Jenny, as the first female director. Apparently the new producers/writers have a very different idea of women on NCIS.
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
HardKore71
HardKore71
19. RE: Killing Of Off Characters
Feb 7 2010, 6:02 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 7 2010, 6:02 AM EST
"Hi HardKore 71,
I could not resist commenting on this one. I find it hard to see the killing off of the female characters as coincidence. I find the circumstances of their deaths even more disturbing. With the exception of Kate, each of the women was seen as having failed in her duty in some way and died as a result. Paula felt responsible for the death of her team and threw herself on the terrorist before anyone else was killed. Michelle Lee was a mole, who would have spent her life in prison if she had survived. Jenny died protecting Gibbs from an assassin she failed to kill in Paris. I think this implies a woman in this type of position is likely to make a fatal error in judgment.
On the other hand, Tony helped put an innocent man in prison but he was given an opportunity to set things right. McGee hesitated to shoot the drug dealing cop who had shot his own partner. Gibbs managed to intervene and all ended well.
I recall an interview in which Don Bellisario talked about wanting to bring more women into the show. I think it was at the time he brought in Ziva, as a smart agent and Jenny, as the first female director. Apparently the new producers/writers have a very different idea of women on NCIS."
Hey Loyalfan,
I can see why you would think that it wasn't just coincidence, but I really do think it was just that. I'm having a hard time believing the producers or writers on the show are going out of their way to make women look weak and incapapable of doinf their jobs correctly. Paula Cassidy didn't screw the pooch, her team died because they were at the wrong time wrong place. That whole episode kept stressing how easily it could have been Gibbs' team that were killed instead of Paula's. Paula felt she had somehow failed at her job, and that had caused the death of her agents; but in reality she had done everything by SOP and was totally blameless. She was wracked with survivor's guilt and was just trying to punish herself. Michelle Lee just getting life would have been a miracle; she probably would have gotten the death penalty, and deservedly so she murdered 2 men in cold blood. I feel no sympathy toward her at all. Jenny made one mistake, and that was being merciful; that said I do think Jenny was the only one that got the end of the shaft. Jenny is relentless her entire career, gives up love and family for the sake of her 5 point plan, makes head of NCIS, then goes psycho over the Frog? That one I'll concede I had a hard time buying, but that's just me
2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
2 3 | Next

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)