Discussion: Message from a One Year Member.Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 9 posts
CatherineYetive
CatherineYetive
Message from a One Year Member.
Jan 16 2010, 11:34 PM EST | Post edited: Jan 16 2010, 11:34 PM EST
Tomorrow will be one year since I joined the NCIS wiki (or should I say “fan site” now?). I've enjoyed participating, posting my fan art and fan fiction, taking requests and reading feedback on my work. I'm not saying that my experience here has been all negative by any means. In fact, it's been great for the most part. I've met many friends, including my best friend, and have read/seen/shared some amazing things here. But in this one year, there *have* been some not-so-great things that I feel I must address.

I do not like the “new” look and feel of the site. People have urged me to get used to it, embrace it, but I simply cannot. I miss the old “unprofessional” banner, and the icons made by the fans that changed each week. Even with my Sean Murray icon used on the main page now, and other art made by the fans, I feel like the wiki/fan site is becoming too commercial. This might “look” better, but I felt more at home with the old main page. Many new members probably don't know what I'm talking about, but this site was a totally different place one year ago. I'm not saying it's all bad now, but I just don't feel as “at home” as I used to.
The spoilers in both the Photo Album and in the threads are out of control. I wanted to be spoiler-free this season, but promotional photos for an episode weeks away are posted with no warning, or people head their threads with spoiler information. I realize that this is impossible to get rid of completely, but some courtesy would be nice.
I've had several issues with my work being copied or stolen. I'm sure I'm not the only artist on the site with this issue. Asking permission only takes a few seconds.
(continued)
4  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    
Keyword tags: wiki
CatherineYetive
CatherineYetive
1. RE: Message from a One Year Member.
Jan 16 2010, 11:35 PM EST | Post edited: Jan 16 2010, 11:35 PM EST
This place used to be open-minded about ALL opinions. There is clearly a rule against degrading someone's opinion, am I right? It's difficult to take rules seriously when moderators are breaking them in a PUBLIC THREAD with another member. I feel like I have to filter my opinion now to appease everyone. That makes no sense. An opinion is my own. I'm not supposed to worry about pleasing everyone.
Respect for the actors on this show has greatly dropped on the wiki. I don't think Pauley Perrette wants photos of her in a bikini top all over this site, do you? And Sean Murray probably doesn't want photos of his daughter going viral. Michael Weatherly's marriage is HIS business. And these are only a few things I've run across.
Myself included, members have to remember the main reason why this place was created: To appreciate the show, NCIS. It wasn't to fight with other fans, or to steal artwork, or to exploit the actors or express how supreme your opinion is. The wiki is also not solely about being #1. I'm glad the wiki is high ranked and recognized, but what is the significance of being on top if there are unhappy members in the background of all the wiki fame? (I can't possibly be the only one).

I expect that this thread will be looked over, like my fan fiction announcements or other things I have posted in the past. And that's perfectly okay. But if you have read this, please respect my opinions. I cared enough to share them with all of you, so at least care enough not to “Flame” me or “Prove me wrong.”
--CatherineYetive
5  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    
nathfromfrance
nathfromfrance
2. RE: Message from a One Year Member.
Jan 17 2010, 1:35 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 17 2010, 1:44 AM EST
hi sweety
yep im a oldy user here too, more 2 years ago...
i admit i do not look at other pics except Mark, Muse ones.
About the header banner yep but nobody can like everything.
You have totally true about private pics and Respect. im just a user here. Where are these pics? gonna try to delete them.
i think the mods are too busy and missed the private pics... girls please.... Respect is so important for us all.
hope you enjoyed and still enjoy the moments we shared together sweety.
Sorry you get this feeling....
but remember the good, all the awesome moments shared.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
bellswebster
bellswebster
3. RE: Message from a One Year Member.
Jan 17 2010, 2:12 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 17 2010, 2:15 AM EST
It's been a month almost over my 1st year too..and I have learnt alot from being on here. I have met some really great people. And yes from time to time we all get angsty at one another. Perhaps too much so in recent times. I do feel there is a difference in the homepage, its not as homey as it first was..I do feel it is more 'lets get to business on this site" rather than "come on in and have a walk around"..sorry if I am hurting the person's feelings who made the change. It does look good, but its more of a commercial site to me...I suppose that is the up - trendy way nowadays. It is nearly a year since I joined Mark Harmon's site.
I have thoroughly enjoyed myself there too. It is a pleasure to belong to a successful tv show..I do feel that there is too many threads started with particular words like .. I hate ... or I dislike...or why I don't like ...it is just my opinion, but these beginnings shouldn't be allowed. Maybe just the actors/charatcers name is enough ?, that way all aspects of that person are covered. We have already had one thread locked that got way out of hand because of the word ..."hate".. If I was a moderator here it wouldn't of stayed for too long and the creator of it would of been invited to restart another one with better wording..but that is just my way of thinking...If the person/actor looked in and read it, I am sure they would of been very hurt. But there is a lot to enjoy here, and I am very glad to be apart of it all.
MargyW
MargyW
4. RE: Message from a One Year Member.
Jan 17 2010, 9:46 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 17 2010, 9:46 AM EST
I think a lot of people know that I do not like the new look of the site and objected to it from the beginning. This site is one set up and run by wetpaint, and as such there is only so much the moderators can do to change the way things look.

People will always like and dislike characters. I like to think my blogs on the subject have lead to reasoned discussion. Frankly, if this place was all sweetness and light we'd all end up with terminal sugar overload. The fact there is free and frank discussion is one of the reason this site is monitored by the production team because it gives some of the most valuable feedback they get.

Bells, I don't think you truly understand moderating. We have to walk a fine line between keeping watch and censoring. Believe me, it is a very hard job. If I had known just how hard when I was asked I may have had second thoughts before accepting.

I try to do the best I can for this site with often nothing but criticism in return. Damned if you do; damned if you don't, as the old saying goes.
Do you find this valuable?    
Sorgiña
Sorgiña
5. RE: Message from a One Year Member.
Jan 17 2010, 10:05 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 17 2010, 10:05 AM EST
"I think a lot of people know that I do not like the new look of the site & objected to it from the beginning. This site is one set up & run by wetpaint, i.e. there is only so much the moderators can do to change the way things look. People will always like/dislike characters. Frankly, if this place was all sweetness & light we'd all end up with terminal sugar overload. The fact there is free frank discussion is one reason this site is monitored by the production team because it gives some of the most valuable feedback they get.

Bells, I don't think you truly understand moderating. We have to walk a fine line between keeping watch and censoring. Believe me, it is a very hard job. If I had known just how hard when I was asked I may have had second thoughts before accepting.

I try to do the best I can for this site with often nothing but criticism in return. Damned if you do; damned if you don't, as the old saying goes."
I'm with you there. In fact you and I expressed strong opinions about the new site look from the word go, along with several other factors. We're all aware threads sometimes get out of hand but as MargyW says we mods have to tread a fine line and can't always come down heavy handed even when tempted to do so. My blogs tend to be more generalised, although from time to time I do use them as a grouse against things like lack of respect for other people's work on here such as fanart, uploading of photos that show a clear lack of respect for the cast.
It also has to be said this site has grown tremendously fast in the last year by over 4700 members since mid-March 2009, along with the site image overhaul, creation of the satellite sites. So it's true things sometimes get out of control as much as we try to prevent them, but in comparison to other fansites this is probably the best controlled one around. Could it be better? Undoubtedly, and we will endeavour to do so.
Sorgiña
Sorgiña
6. RE: Message from a One Year Member.
Jan 17 2010, 10:08 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 17 2010, 10:08 AM EST
Just one more point. I'd personally like to thank you CatherineYetive for voicing your opinion, unlike a great many who join and simply lurk. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
MargyW
MargyW
7. RE: Message from a One Year Member.
Jan 17 2010, 10:09 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 17 2010, 10:09 AM EST
"Just one more point. I'd personally like to thank you CatherineYetive for voicing your opinion, unlike a great many who join and simply lurk."
I agree.
nathfromfrance
nathfromfrance
9. RE: Message from a One Year Member.
Jan 17 2010, 10:35 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 17 2010, 10:35 AM EST
"I agree."
i agree :)
i know it's hard to be a mod but Sorgi, Margy and Hotchy do it well.
About the personnal pics Cath can you tell me where they are in here, we will delete them.

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)