Discussion: Gibbs' drink(s)Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 20 of 50  |  Show  posts at a time
2 3 | Next
the_sandman
the_sandman
Gibbs' drink(s)
Feb 9 2009, 6:56 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 9 2009, 6:56 AM EST
Like Gibbs, I drink a LOT of coffee -- half a gallon per day, sometimes more. But when I discovered he was drinking Starbuck's, I was put off just a bit. But he does drink it black and bitter, and you've got to respect that, or at least I have to.
BUT
At first it was said that Gibbs drinks Bourbon.
Not that I could, but I came close to losing respect for him.
But in a later episode he said it was Gentleman Jack. I can respect a man who drinks Tennessee whiskey, but not Bourbon.
Then still later, Gibbs shared Scotch with Fornell. Macallan Single Malt it was, the same that diNozzo's daddy drinks. ("Macallan 18, three fingers, one ice cube.")
I knew there had to be some reason I liked Fornell.

Anyone who drinks Single Malt Scotch can't be all bad.
10  out of 25 found this valuable. Do you?    
Keyword tags: gibbs
Sorgiña
Sorgiña
1. RE: Gibbs' drink(s)
Feb 9 2009, 7:16 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 9 2009, 7:16 AM EST
Glenfiddich is better than Macallan, and without ice - it would be sacrilege to water it down :-) 6  out of 15 found this valuable. Do you?    
the_sandman
the_sandman
2. RE: Gibbs' drink(s)
Feb 9 2009, 10:45 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 9 2009, 10:45 AM EST
"Glenfiddich is better than Macallan, and without ice - it would be sacrilege to water it down :-)"
It's a matter of taste, love. De gustibus non disputandum est, or whatever blows your skirt up.

Glenfiddich is light and subtle in flavour. I prefer a whisky that tastes peaty and smoky, such as Laphroaig 15, Jura Superstition, or Macallan Cask Strength. I'm currently working on a new one, Strathisla.
And I'm not fond of the sherry taste found in so many Scotches. I prefer one that is aged in charred oak.
The older and smoother the whisky, the easier it goes down. And I frequently use one ice cube in three fingers of whisky, with an ice-water backup.
1  out of 6 found this valuable. Do you?    
Sorgiña
Sorgiña
3. RE: Gibbs' drink(s)
Feb 9 2009, 10:52 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 9 2009, 10:52 AM EST
Glenfiddich is more a ladies' whisky, however, where there's a good Armagnac served in a warmed glass, then covered a few minutes to draw the aroma "que me quiten lo bailao" (the rest matters not +/-), no ice. I like to savour the taste as it goes down - needless to say I take about 2 hours or more to drink an Armagnac (with Spanish sized measures which are about 4 to 5 times the standard English measures!) 1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
the_sandman
the_sandman
4. RE: Gibbs' drink(s)
Feb 9 2009, 11:44 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 9 2009, 11:44 AM EST
More than half a century ago, when I reached the legal drinking age, my very first drink was a 25-year-old Armagnac. The second was a 15-year-old Single Malt Scotch. I made my choice for life at that time. 0  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
Sorgiña
Sorgiña
5. RE: Gibbs' drink(s)
Feb 9 2009, 12:03 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 9 2009, 12:03 PM EST
I'm the opposite way round, first the Glenfiddich and then the Armagnac, it was the aroma that really sold me on the Armagnac I find it's far more pervasive than whisky Do you find this valuable?    
NCISAgent
NCISAgent
6. RE: Gibbs' drink(s)
Feb 10 2009, 4:17 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 10 2009, 4:17 AM EST
I am just curious, is Gibbs realling drinking all that coffee on the show or is it an empty cup? Also, in real life, does Mark Harmon really drink that much coffee? 6  out of 7 found this valuable. Do you?    
Scorpio-lady
Scorpio-lady
7. RE: Gibbs' drink(s)
Feb 10 2009, 4:37 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 10 2009, 4:37 AM EST
"I am just curious, is Gibbs realling drinking all that coffee on the show or is it an empty cup? Also, in real life, does Mark Harmon really drink that much coffee?"
Well, as Gibbs (the character), he's supposed to look like he is drinking all that coffee. But, I'm guessing that Mark Harmon (the actor) is only sipping from empty cups. I don't know that anyone knows how much coffee Harmon drinks in his private life. Again, I would guess that it's not as much as his character drinks.
3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
the_sandman
the_sandman
8. RE: Gibbs' drink(s)
Feb 10 2009, 4:51 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 10 2009, 4:51 AM EST
"he's supposed to look like he is drinking all that coffee. "
I never questioned that Gibbs was a coffee toper until Tony did so. He said (don't remember which episode) that he thought Gibbs was pretending to drink.
IMO Gibbs' actions, and business with the cups, prove that he really drinks that much.
As I said earlier, I drink half a gallon of coffee every day, sometimes more.
And as a P.S., having been an actor, I know the rigors of multiple takes of a single scene. I once had to light a cigarette, smoke more than half, and stub it out on a desktop. After fourteen takes, I had used 30 cigarettes. If Harmon made Gibbs actually ingest all that, he couldn't sleep or sit still for a week. But I still think that Gibbs really drinks it all.
2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
NCISAgent
NCISAgent
9. RE: Gibbs' drink(s)
Feb 10 2009, 4:54 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 10 2009, 4:54 AM EST
I kind of figured they were empty cups because that would be a whole lot of coffee!! Or maybe just filled with water. I know when we shot my film, the characters were suppose to be drinking alcohol, but needless to day, it wasn't real or else we would have had some pretty loopy actors:) Could you imagine if he actually drank all that coffee? He'd be bouncing off the walls! 5  out of 6 found this valuable. Do you?    
the_sandman
the_sandman
10. RE: Gibbs' drink(s)
Feb 10 2009, 4:56 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 10 2009, 4:56 AM EST
Once Fornell visited Gibbs' basement. He wouldn't drink the Jack Daniel's (not e4ven Gentleman Jack), but he shared his Scotch with Gibbs, who accepted and drank the Scotch. I can't be certain, but Fornell's bottle LOOKED like Macallan.
I've always liked Fornell, and his being a Scotch drinker only affirmed it for me.
2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
the_sandman
the_sandman
11. RE: Gibbs' drink(s)
Feb 10 2009, 4:59 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 10 2009, 4:59 AM EST
Damn. I tried to correct that "e4ven" but it posted anyway. I'm usually more meticulous than that. 1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

mewofford
12. RE: Gibbs' drink(s)
Feb 10 2009, 5:27 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 10 2009, 5:27 AM EST
"More than half a century ago, when I reached the legal drinking age, my very first drink was a 25-year-old Armagnac. The second was a 15-year-old Single Malt Scotch. I made my choice for life at that time. "
More than 40 years ago well before I was the legal drinking age I liked vodka. Now, like Ziva, I like my tequila.
hehe

Scotch just doesn't get it for me.

However, some nice smooth Gentleman Jack (bourbon) is welcome sometimes too. Had a boyfriend who drank that and I still like it sometimes, but not the boyfriend.
hehe

1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

mewofford
13. RE: Gibbs' drink(s)
Feb 10 2009, 5:29 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 10 2009, 5:29 AM EST
"I never questioned that Gibbs was a coffee toper until Tony did so. He said (don't remember which episode) that he thought Gibbs was pretending to drink.
IMO Gibbs' actions, and business with the cups, prove that he really drinks that much.
As I said earlier, I drink half a gallon of coffee every day, sometimes more.
And as a P.S., having been an actor, I know the rigors of multiple takes of a single scene. I once had to light a cigarette, smoke more than half, and stub it out on a desktop. After fourteen takes, I had used 30 cigarettes. If Harmon made Gibbs actually ingest all that, he couldn't sleep or sit still for a week. But I still think that Gibbs really drinks it all."
"Dagger."

Tony had drank his coffee and had to go to the little boys room. McGee told him Gibbs was just pretending to drink and Tony said well that must be why he never has to take a...

Then Gibbs interrupted.

Very funny scene which Tony kind of replayed for Ziva later in the episode -- seeming to drink without doing so.

2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
LoveNCIS
LoveNCIS
14. RE: Gibbs' drink(s)
Feb 10 2009, 9:34 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 10 2009, 9:34 AM EST
Gibbs was also drinking beer in several eps..."Sandblast", "Iced" and "Ex File" come to mind.

Do you find this valuable?    
MargyW
MargyW
15. RE: Gibbs' drink(s)
Feb 10 2009, 9:36 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 10 2009, 9:36 AM EST
"Gibbs was also drinking beer in several eps..."Sandblast", "Iced" and "Ex File" come to mind.

"
Not to forget the fruit juice he and Fornell shared at Fornell's house.
Do you find this valuable?    
the_sandman
the_sandman
16. RE: Gibbs' drink(s)
Feb 10 2009, 10:16 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 10 2009, 10:16 AM EST
"
nice smooth Gentleman Jack (bourbon) is welcome sometimes too. Had a boyfriend who drank that and I still like it sometimes, but not the boyfriend.

"
I don't wish to appear picky, but I used to live in Tennessee, and I had a cousin who worked for Jack Daniel's. I have to put in my oar.
American whiskeys are of several varieties. Tennessee whiskey is produced by a different method from Bourbon whiskey; it's charcoal filtered, and aged in maple casks instead of the charred oak used in aging Bourbon. Those factors make it a very different product.
5  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    

mewofford
17. RE: Gibbs' drink(s)
Feb 10 2009, 10:17 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 10 2009, 10:17 AM EST
"Not to forget the fruit juice he and Fornell shared at Fornell's house."
That may well be my favorite Fornell/Gibbs scene.
Well played gentlemen.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Sorgiña
Sorgiña
18. RE: Gibbs' drink(s)
Feb 10 2009, 10:27 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 10 2009, 10:27 AM EST
"I don't wish to appear picky, but I used to live in Tennessee, and I had a cousin who worked for Jack Daniel's. I have to put in my oar.
American whiskeys are of several varieties. Tennessee whiskey is produced by a different method from Bourbon whiskey; it's charcoal filtered, and aged in maple casks instead of the charred oak used in aging Bourbon. Those factors make it a very different product.
"
Well, I once had to do a translation on the differences between using American and French oak for wine casks, which turned out to be extremely interesting, since the these two examples of the quercus genus were cut, dried, roasted and shaped in different ways lending different tastes, bouquets, etc., to the red wine held inside and fermented. One of the most interesting dissertations I've had to translated. It also pointed out why wine fermented in French oak casks was more expensive than American oak casks. Essentially French oak has to be sawn manually at a certain bias, dried and roasted traditionally otherwise it would lose important properties such as tightness, whereas American oak could be mechanically sawn and then artificially dried and roasted without losing any of its properties.
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
think1959
think1959
19. RE: Gibbs' drink(s)
Feb 10 2009, 10:58 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 10 2009, 10:58 AM EST
Sorry, Sandman but I am a died in the wool nothing comes close to Jack Daniels in the Black label. My first love in the intoxicating drink section. And still my drink and I hit the big 50 this year. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
2 3 | Next

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)