Discussion: Welcome to the Ziva David School of HebrewReported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 20 of 23  |  Show  posts at a time
2 | Next
hoorooblue
hoorooblue
Welcome to the Ziva David School of Hebrew
Sep 15 2008, 8:22 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 15 2008, 8:22 AM EDT
Great work Reigne on setting up the page! Could you give us the translation for "Mossad-style assault tactics on photocopiers" and "does a bear sit in the woods?". With these two code-phrases, we will be able to identify Israeli fans of NCIS immediately because, instead of looking puzzled, their eyes will light with recognition. 5  out of 9 found this valuable. Do you?    
Keyword tags: Hebrew

Reigne
1. RE: Welcome to the Ziva David School of Hebrew
Sep 15 2008, 11:14 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 15 2008, 11:14 AM EDT
I will work on trying to find translations. But bare in mind, that I am not fluent in everyday Hebrew. Only the taxi-cab tourist version.
I could find some Israeli idioms though!
2  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    
hoorooblue
hoorooblue
2. RE: Welcome to the Ziva David School of Hebrew
Sep 15 2008, 11:36 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 15 2008, 11:36 AM EDT
Ah well, we will be happy with any idioms you think Ziva would use. I assume you have seen the DiNozzo Italian pages...made by Princess Ila. You could liase with her and come up with some comparative translations...and Sorgina can then give you the Basque version and lots of other wonderful polyglots can join in with German French and other languages. We have a language rich wiki!
Cheers to you Reigne!
3  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    

Reigne
3. RE: Welcome to the Ziva David School of Hebrew
Sep 15 2008, 11:46 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 15 2008, 11:46 AM EDT
"Ah well, we will be happy with any idioms you think Ziva would use. I assume you have seen the DiNozzo Italian pages...made by Princess Ila. You could liase with her and come up with some comparative translations...and Sorgina can then give you the Basque version and lots of other wonderful polyglots can join in with German French and other languages. We have a language rich wiki!
Cheers to you Reigne!"
I trying to remember the one she was telling Gibbs. And then she says "It loses meaning in translation" (or something along the lines of that.)
2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Reigne
4. RE: Welcome to the Ziva David School of Hebrew
Oct 8 2008, 11:29 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 8 2008, 11:29 PM EDT
Woo hoo! Got a translation!

?האם דב יושב ביער

Does a bear sit in the woods?

התקפה וטקטיקה בסגנון מוסד על מְכוֹנַות צִלּוּם

Mossad style assault tactics on photocopiers.

Woo hoo! I'm so happy! Mind you, these translations might not be 100% correct. But they are understandable.
4  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    
Frummel
Frummel
5. RE: Welcome to the Ziva David School of Hebrew
Oct 9 2008, 4:24 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 9 2008, 4:24 AM EDT
Wow, what a wonderful idea! I love your Ziva David School of Hebrew!!! 2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
mariah4568
mariah4568
6. RE: Welcome to the Ziva David School of Hebrew
Oct 9 2008, 10:03 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 9 2008, 10:03 AM EDT
"I trying to remember the one she was telling Gibbs. And then she says "It loses meaning in translation" (or something along the lines of that.)"
She said something like "a little of fire can burn a lot of straw" sorry if it isn't perfect, but i'm translating from spanish version. I can't remember which episode was, but i remember Director Shepard translating it to Gibbs

ditte3
7. RE: Welcome to the Ziva David School of Hebrew
Oct 11 2008, 9:07 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 11 2008, 9:07 AM EDT
I love this school of Hebrew. 3  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    
windykat
windykat
8. RE: Welcome to the Ziva David School of Hebrew
Jan 14 2009, 10:43 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 14 2009, 10:43 AM EST
I'm going to start avidly learning this! Thank you Reigne!

Now does anyone have the phrase that Tony learned and said to Ziva right before her vacation?
1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
abbyrulz
abbyrulz
9. RE: Welcome to the Ziva David School of Hebrew
Jan 17 2009, 7:59 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 17 2009, 7:59 AM EST
"

Now does anyone have the phrase that Tony learned and said to Ziva right before her vacation?
"
Yes he said "have a good trip" to her. "ensia Tova" ok that is the incorrectly spelt English/Hebrew prononsiation of it.

I only got the 'Tova' part right. 'Tov ' in hebrew means 'good' so 'tova' must be an extention of it.
i can research it and get the correct spelling of youd like. hope it helps

Reigne
10. RE: Welcome to the Ziva David School of Hebrew
Jan 17 2009, 1:10 PM EST | Post edited: Jan 17 2009, 1:10 PM EST
"Yes he said "have a good trip" to her. "ensia Tova" ok that is the incorrectly spelt English/Hebrew prononsiation of it.

I only got the 'Tova' part right. 'Tov ' in hebrew means 'good' so 'tova' must be an extention of it.
i can research it and get the correct spelling of youd like. hope it helps"
He said n'see'a tova. (Have a good trip.)

In Hebrew:

נְסִיעָה טוֹבָה

My Hebrew has gotten very, very rusty recently.
3  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    
windykat
windykat
11. RE: Welcome to the Ziva David School of Hebrew
Jan 18 2009, 11:13 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 18 2009, 11:13 AM EST
Thanks Reigne and abbyrulz! 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
missymel515
missymel515
12. RE: Welcome to the Ziva David School of Hebrew
Mar 1 2009, 6:57 PM EST | Post edited: Mar 1 2009, 6:57 PM EST
"I trying to remember the one she was telling Gibbs. And then she says "It loses meaning in translation" (or something along the lines of that.)"
I don't know what Ziva said, but the translation Jenny gives is "a little fire burns a great deal of corn."
2  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    
jshu
jshu
13. RE: Welcome to the Ziva David School of Hebrew
Mar 16 2009, 2:09 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 16 2009, 2:09 AM EDT
Tov and Tova are the same word: Tov is masculine and Tova is feminine. In Hebrew the feminine form is used not only for people and animals but things also. For example Nsiah (were the i sounds like a long e (ee)) is feminine so you say Tova to describe the trip. But story (sipor) is masculine so it would be Sipor Tov (a good story). Note that the adjective comes after the thing it describes in Hebrew. This is always true and is opposite from English. 2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
jshu
jshu
14. RE: Welcome to the Ziva David School of Hebrew
Mar 16 2009, 2:46 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 16 2009, 2:46 AM EDT
"I don't know what Ziva said, but the translation Jenny gives is "a little fire burns a great deal of corn.""
A direct translation of the phrase you heard would be:
אש קטנה נשרפה הרבה מאוד תירס
I'm not sure exactly what it said.
transliterated as follows:
esh ktanah nishrafah harbey meod tiras
esh = fire
kntanah = little
nishrafah = burns
harbey = a lot
meod = very much
tiras = corn
Note on pronouciation: i = long e, o = long o, e is eh, a is ah, These rules are standard rules for transliteration from Hebrew into English.

Other notes. I live in Israel and am a big fan of the show. I saw this episode and when we heard it said, both my wife and I looked at each other and said "What did she say?" We listened to it again (rewind) and couldn't get it but it was translated into Hebrew at the bottom. Neither one of us knew the phrase. I asked all my native Hebrew speaking friends and they didn't have a clue. They just kind of looked at me funny. I asked a few religious people as well to make sure it wasn't in Talmud or something.
Interestingly it really couldn't be from ancient Hebrew text because corn wasn't discovered in the Hebrew speaking world until the Europeans came to the Americas. So it would have to be modern Hebrew only. In the ancient texts Tiras (modern Hebrew for corn) is the name of a person.
I Googled it and found that a few places had that exact English expression as coming from Hebrew. My guess is that only the English speaking world knows this expression as coming from Hebrew, and I think the basis of it is this show!!!! Which I think is hilarious. Maybe by way of this show it will make it into the Hebrew language thus becoming a self fulfilling prophecy (or proverb).
7  out of 7 found this valuable. Do you?    
mmeeeeeelllllll
mmeeeeeelllllll
15. RE: Welcome to the Ziva David School of Hebrew
Oct 16 2009, 1:44 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 16 2009, 1:44 AM EDT
Thankyou so much for setting this page up. I fell in love with Hebrew after hearin Ziva speak it, and would love to learn one day, and this will help me along. I love all the Ziva-isms 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

boredtvfan
16. RE: Welcome to the Ziva David School of Hebrew
Jan 10 2012, 7:23 PM EST | Post edited: Jan 10 2012, 7:23 PM EST
i think that is exactly what she kept saying
Do you find this valuable?    

Bert_Rocks
17. RE: Welcome to the Ziva David School of Hebrew
Mar 4 2013, 6:55 AM EST | Post edited: Mar 4 2013, 6:55 AM EST
I apologize if this has already been addressed elsewhere. Does anyone else find it odd that Eli's last name is pronounced correctly as Dah-vid, but not his first name. It should be Eh-lee with the stress on the second syllable. 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Bert_Rocks
18. RE: Welcome to the Ziva David School of Hebrew
Mar 4 2013, 6:58 AM EST | Post edited: Mar 4 2013, 6:58 AM EST
How does everyone rate Ziva's Hebrew pronunciation? I think it sounds pretty good. Originally, I thought Cote is Sephardic, but I don't think she is Jewish. I think she has a talent for languages. How about her Arabic? 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
retiredinlavernia
retiredinlavernia
19. RE: Welcome to the Ziva David School of Hebrew
Mar 4 2013, 7:43 AM EST | Post edited: Mar 4 2013, 7:43 AM EST
There is something I have wondered about for awhile and this may be the proper thread to ask. I have asked elsewhere on this site with no response.
In "Engaged part 2" in the battle where Captain Quincy was killed (right before they rescued the missing Marine) Ziva yells what I woud call a battle cry over the body of an enemy soldier as she fights her way forward. I do not remember it exactly but it was not English so I assume it was Hebrew. It ended . . . . . . Tah Wah"
Anyone know what her battle cry was and what it means in English?
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
2 | Next

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)