Sign in or
◄ Back to home: NCIS Squadroom
Wiki Guidelines (Images, Editing, Bullet Points, Templates, Attachments, etc.)
Image Size & Quality:
- Images make a Wiki stand out. There are a lot of contributors to the NCIS Wiki and we presently have well over 2,000 images in our photo gallery. There are a few things to keep in mind when you find, select and format images. Good quality images are nice and great for the site. Blurry or small images are unprofessional and, well, plain old ugly. Here are some guidelines/suggestions for use when adding images to the NCIS Wiki.
- Keep in mind that pages are generally formatted when you go in to edit them. Try to stick to the standard format as much as possible. This makes the page easy for navigation for everyone and also conforms to the standard resolution size of an individual's monitor.
- Try not to use the Wiki's built-in picture resizer. Try and resize the images before you upload them to the Wiki. There's a few free picture editor's out there, Picasa is one of them. Using the Wiki's built-in picture resizer tends to destroy the quality of the image.
- Keep pictures standard size and manageable. Check out the other pictures on the page you are adding to and format your pictures so that they are roughly the same size. Some of the images you are uploading may require cropping. While something might look outstanding on your monitor, it will look completely different on someone else's. Not everyone uses the same resolution on their monitor.
- Do not post poor quality photos. If an image is too small - you can't increase the size. Increasing the image size of a small photo causes distortion and poor quality. Remember not everyone has 20/20 vision so keep that in mind if you decide to add a small photo. You'd like for the image to be clear and viewable by all.
Image Do's & Don'ts
- Do not duplicate images that are already on the site. Duplicating images takes up space when it can be used for some great content or another good quality photo. Any duplicate images will be deleted.
- Any poor quality photos will be deleted. If images are too small, too blurry or distorted, they will be deleted from both the photo gallery and the page they are on.
- Many of the actors do not like the intrusion that the long lensed paparazzi bring to their lives. Let's show the actors the privacy they have asked for and not upload those types of photos to this Wiki. You can view them on other sites if you wish, but leave them there. Let their personal lives remain private.
- Any inappropriate photos will be automatically deleted. The member who posted them will be sent a private message letting them know why. By inappropriate, no crude photos, nudity, or profanity. There's a variety of terms to be used for inappropriate, use your judgment. What may be acceptable in one area is not in another.
Italics versus Quotation Marks:
- Italics are used for ALL film titles. As you know, DiNozzo is notorious for quoting them! When you add a movie title used by any of the NCIS Characters, put the title in italics. Quotation marks are used for all books. If you are quoting something that a character said, use quotation marks. Most of the pages already contain formatting hints. When in doubt, use the same formatting that appears elsewhere on the page you are editing.
- Bullet points break the text down into manageable chunks. You can use the indent feature on the EasyEdit Toolbar to customize your own bullet-points. You can also use the "wrap-around" feature for images.
There are many templates. We have episode guide, character, actor, etc. Try and take advantage of the preformatted templates as they serve for great guides to you for understanding the basics of the Editor. This also ensures consistency throughout the Wiki for formatting in each area.
Attachments cannot exceed 2MB, and there is a limit of 40 attachments per site. If that limit is reached and you cannot add an attachment, you can free up space by viewing a list of all attachments on the site and remove any that you have added.
Latest page update: made by #1hotchfan
, Aug 9 2008, 12:06 AM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by #1hotchfan
6 words added
- complete history)
More Info: links to this page
There are no threads for this page. Be the first to start a new thread.