Sign in or
Gibbs and His Boats
◄ Back to Jethro Gibbs
What do we know about Leroy Jethro Gibbs and his passion for boat building? Find out below.
*PLEASE DO NOT SPECULATE IN THE TABLE BELOW. ONLY ADD WHAT WE KNOW ABOUT THE BOAT(S) IN EACH EPISODE APPEARANCE.*
*PLEASE ENSURE THAT ENTRIES ARE IN EPISODE ORDER.*
*PLEASE ENSURE THAT ENTRIES ARE IN EPISODE ORDER.*
|EPISODE NAME/NUMBER||DETAILS KNOWN|
|"Yankee White", 1x01|| |
| "Hung Out to Dry", 1x02 || |
|"High Seas", 1x06|| |
|"Marine Down", 1x09|| |
| "Left for Dead", 1x10 || |
|"Enigma", 1x15|| |
Tony: Only the ones who've been married a few times...The others can afford to buy one!"
|"Heart Break", 2x08|| |
|"Doppelganger", 2x12|| |
|"Kill Ari", 3x02|| |
|"Honor Code", 3x07|| |
|"Bloodbath", 3x21|| |
|"Shalom", 4x01|| |
|"Escaped", 4x02|| |
|"Faking It", 4x04|| |
|"Sandblast", 4x07|| |
|"Sharif Returns", 4x13|| |
|"Blowback", 4X14|| |
|"Grace Period", 4x19|| |
|"In the Dark", 4x22|| |
|Season 5|| |
|"Ex-File", 5x03|| |
|"Tribes", 5x11|| |
|"Internal Affairs", 5.14|| |
Gibbs: Any questions?
McGee: How do you get the boat out?
Gibbs: Break the bottle, McGee.
NOTE: The Did You Know page says: "The boat that Gibbs is building is an Amigo Kit from Glen-L."
PUZZLEMENT 1: Is there a Kelly and a Kelly II? Kelly is being finished in 4x07, and was moved out by 4x13. In 5x03, there seems to be another Kelly boat -- this time the name is already painted. If you have an answer from the episodes, or other authoritative source, please insert it here.
PUZZLEMENT 2: In "Internal Affairs", 5x14, during Ducky's "autopsy", there are 2 views of the boat. One seems to be about knee-high, at least the portion visible. In the second view, the part seen is about elbow-or-shoulder height, as in the first 2 scenes. Opinions? Is this maybe a misfire to the canon, with the cabin having been moved? Or does one end of the cabin extend to the basement floor?
What does he do with the boat(s) when and if he finishes them? And how does he get it out of his basement? Ideas? [[Ideas as of 12/16/08 have been copied from existing threads on this site]]
- Maybe he dismantles them and starts over with a slightly different configuration.
- I've often wondered myself and believe the only way out is by dismantling them.
- I wonder if he "dismantled" the "Diane" boat with a sledge hammer? *evil grin*
- Right after I posted the "sledge hammer" thought, I remembered what he told Jenny her first day on the job. He said that he burned the "Diane" boat, because he didn't want anyone else sailing off on her. However, in order to burn it, he would have to get it out of the basement ... via sledge hammer?
- That works for me.... he smashed it to pieces with a sledgehammer and then took it out back and burnt it! :)
- I believe that he destroys them or takes them apart to get them out.
- Apparently he's supposed to have burnt each of the previous boats, presumably outside his basement, although to date we have yet to find out how he actually gets the boats out of his basement in the first place.
- I believe that you are right. I seem to recall Gibbs telling an inquirer (I think that it was Tobias), that he finished the previous boat, and was now building a new one....and, he would have had to take it apart, in order to get it out of the basement.
- We haven't seen the full basement, he might have a very huge door to move the finished boat.
- I seem to recall a few episodes where visitors, to Gibbs' basement, ask him how he plans to get the boat out. All that I can remember is Gibbs saying that he will have to take it apart...or, something to that nature. I am sure that if Gibbs had a basement door large enough, to accommodate a boat, he would have said so, no?
- I have NO idea how he plans to get Kelly's boat out of the basement now. He once mentioned building a ramp and knocking out the wall.
- I reckon the scriptwriters still haven't found a plausible method :-)
- We know how he gets them out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) Through the one wall they don't show where the camera is. ;)
- Even if there is a wall that Gibbs is using to take all of the boats he builds out of his basement, where is he taking them? Is there a Marina somewhere, where he has all of his boats sitting at dock? Is he sailing any of them? And, how many boats are we talking about that he has finished building? I can only remember that there have been two.
- In a season 4 episode Gibbs' basement was shown to have a large door. It has never been seen since! I am guessing it will never be seen again either! -- I am pretty sure it was early in season 4.
WHY does he build the boats?: [[Ideas as of 12/16/08 have been copied from existing threads on this site]]
- Per his team, the basement is:"Same place he always goes to think." according to "Sharif Returns", 4x13
- I think he makes them as therapy...to keep himself calm and "in-check".
- It's the making that's important, not the finished product. That would actually explain a lot about Gibbs' character.
- For any of you that has worked with wood, you know that it can be soothing to the nerves. You can work your frustrations out and forget other things for a while.
- I figure he puts a lot of time and care into it... it's therapy for him. :) It's calm, quiet in his basement (until everyone enters without knocking) , he's got music, coffee and his tools.
- I don't think that he would destroy them, though, since building boats seems too cathartic/therapeutic for him....and, I can't envision Gibbs taking them apart and re-using the same wood for a new boat.
- I have never seen a boat really built in a basement. Any good marine or sailor use places like a hanger for a plane, but never have I met one building in a basement. It might be his "white white". I just saw the episode with him writing his daughters name on it. So, I believe it is for his character to show the craftmansfhip of a man who anything he really does, "HE DOES IT WITH GREAT PRECISION, and all of his heart.
- I've always thought that Gibbs builds his boats for just three reasons: 1) he loves working with his hands, and building his boats is a true passion and relaxation for him, 2) depending on who he names his boat after, he has his own personal reasons for the amount of love he puts into them, and 3) in each instance, he has already planned to destroy the boat once it is finished. Thus, getting them out of his basement won't be any problem for him. I figure that he will keep building his boats for a long time to come...I'm betting that a new one is already in the works for Jenny *smile*.
- It's my opinion that he has made a boat for each ex-wife for the joy of building, then smashed it up to get it out for burning.
- Gibbs doesn't deal with his loss; he's building boats to cope better, but he's not really moving forward because he probably can't do it all by himself.
- I believe be builds the boats to have something to do, and as seen with 'Diane' and 'Kelly', he may use the boats to work through emotions.
Latest page update: made by agentnics
, Jan 3 2011, 1:49 AM EST
(about this update
About This Update
Added link to top of page.
5 words added
- complete history)
More Info: links to this page
There are no threads for this page. Be the first to start a new thread.